Honored Contributor

Dr Sobel Skin Care Tonight 8/20

Dr Sobel, NY derm doc,  is making a return to the Q tonight. His old claim to fame was his DDF skin care line. 

He uses very high percentages of actives in his products.

His glycolic peel is 30%, his Vit C serum is 35%, and his Retinol is 4.5% What do you think ??

His line is designated as Clean Beauty. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Dr Sobel Skin Care Tonight 8/20

Would love to hear some comments from anyone who has tried any of these. Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Hi, 

Here's what I posted in my May Retinol review:

"I have sensitive, Celtic skin. I expected peeling, redness. Retinoid & derivatives are exfoliants, they speed up turnover process, peeling is expected, can go on for weeks, that's what it's supposed to do.
 Research, know what you're using- don't use too much, too frequent, use sunscreen- each of these increase peeling, burning, etc., I use too often, too much and didn't regularly use sunscreen when I first began using retinol and Rx retinoid.
 I was very sorry. I thought more was better, I also used other skincare products, some of which, shouldn't have used. I exfoliated before or after...don't do any of that.
So far, Sobel has been the best nonRx retinoid derivative I've used. I'm working up to restarting a RX retinoid. It will take a 2-6 months of using a retinol before doing so.
I am going to try his other products.
Hopefully I can update my review in a few weeks/months."

Shellbelle I know you are skincare savvy, you know the things I wrote about...

I'm still loving it, though.  I started out too frequently, once I decreased the number of times per week, it went well. The only time I experienced any negative result was when I applied Josie's balm, or it may have been the Infinity Cream. Whichever one it was burned like crazy! I haven't attempted either one again, but I will soon. I have to figure which one to stay away from. 

I thought both would be soothing, but one of them WAS NOT!

I peeled/flaked some in the beginning, not a ton, had some redness, not too drying, but my skin has been dry the past few years, so I need to keep it moisturised, and used JM's honey balm and occasionally the Infinity Cream.

I'll continue the Retinol, and I just purchased the Niacinamide. I'll take it slowly incorporating.

I've always had good luck with Dr. Wexler's Niacinamide, sorry she left QVC!

Sobel is a good deal with 5 easy pays.

💚🐱🐶💚
FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Esteemed Contributor

I did try Dr. Sobel's moisturizer, just not my favorite. I'm just happy with my low percentages of retinol & AHAs. I just do not need anything stronger.

He does use some interesting things like frankinsence, which has been studied on skin. Ginger is sort of new to me. But I also noticed his use of olive leaf. Instead of the green tea, I am using that to make my own toner.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

His 'retinol complex' is actually a pro-retinol which is not the same as retinol in the traditional sense.

His vitamin C is a blend of various forms of the vitamin and not a single analog.

That explains the high percentages of those actives. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all for disecting these products and putting more info out there. how about his 30% glycolic peel, any thoughts on that.? 

Sillie, what is a pro retinol ??

We learn something new each day. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

I did try Dr. Sobel's moisturizer, just not my favorite. I'm just happy with my low percentages of retinol & AHAs. I just do not need anything stronger.

He does use some interesting things like frankinsence, which has been studied on skin. Ginger is sort of new to me. But I also noticed his use of olive leaf. Instead of the green tea, I am using that to make my own toner.

Ginger has been used in skin care for a while now, if you ever have used any Prai products, ginger is used in mostly all of their products, goes by the technical name, Zingiber Cassimunar.  

Honored Contributor

I am sticking with the program I use for my skin--have heard of Sobel but think it is one more gotta- get -your money skincare line-- for fantastical claims ---if it was so great--why do you have to wait a month to see any changes---give me something OVERNIGHT--that will change my life--then we will talk!!! 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Thanks to all for disecting these products and putting more info out there. how about his 30% glycolic peel, any thoughts on that.? 

Sillie, what is a pro retinol ??

We learn something new each day. 

@Shelbelle 

Pro-retinol is a vitamin A sourced ingredient which when introduced into the skin has the potential to convert to retinoic acid when it comes in contact with skin enzymes. The process of conversion is long and the end product is small.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, SM, so there really is a method to his madness!! I am betting you feel the 30% Glycolic is too potent.