Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I've noticed that too.  I recently watched some of her videos.  I'm surprised at some of her recommendations, like Vanicream.  I don't know much about it but that would never be on my radar.

@ScrapHappy  Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser in a pumper bottle is next to my sink now. I use as a second cleanse at night after my oil to remove makeup. Some derms are recommending this now instead of Cetaphil, etc.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I've noticed that too.  I recently watched some of her videos.  I'm surprised at some of her recommendations, like Vanicream.  I don't know much about it but that would never be on my radar.

@ScrapHappy  Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser in a pumper bottle is next to my sink now. I use as a second cleanse at night after my oil to remove makeup. Some derms are recommending this now instead of Cetaphil, etc.

Dr. Dray was recommending the cream.  She said she's been using it since in her teens.  Do you use the cream too?

Contributor
Dr. Dray has said that sunscreens are what make her skin shiny due to their protective barrier, and she doesn't wear makeup very often. She also tries new and different sunscreens to review and some are more shiny than others.
Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

Dr. Dray was recommending the cream.  She said she's been using it since in her teens.  Do you use the cream too?

@Shanus 

Respected Contributor

I started watching Dr. Dray about five years ago and subscribed to her channel on YouTube. I fell in love with her philosophy of minimalist skin care, using simple, inexpensive products without fragrance and keeping it simple.  It spoke to the sensible (and frugal) side of me.

Fast forward to today. She now has almost a million and a half subscribers and her demeanor has changed. Where once she was humble and reserved and just gave straightforward information, now it seems she's become more confident (not a bad thing), likes to put on more of a "show" and has more of an attitude. I now find that I get annoyed with her more easily but I still watch most of her content because I usually come away with some useful tidbit of information. 

I originally subscribed to her for her skin care content and her product reviews and have never really enjoyed her vlogs that include perusing non skin care merchandise in stores. Where, at first, I never missed a video, now I've become more selective about the ones I watch and have come close to unsubscribing to her channel a few times, recently. For some reason, I haven't yet and maybe it's because I think I might miss some new and important finding, because she does seem to keep up with the latest product information. 

Yes, her voice is annoying but I've overlooked that in the past for the sake of learning from her.  However, her attempts at humor and the way she waves her arms around like a Muppet are off-putting and are making her increasingly hard to watch. Years ago, people who tuned in to her channel were put off by her anorexic appearance. I'm happy to say that at least she's looking healthier now.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse   See my post and yes, I've been using Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser for awhile. I follow Dr. Shereene Idress on YT since her approach to quite simple w/ fewer skincare products, many drugstore available. She also mimics my own derms recommendations. 

Vanicream is my only morning cleanser when I rarely need to cleanse...just splash with warm water. At night, I use Bioderma with a cotton pad followed my oily cleanser to remove spf and any eye makeup. 

I experimented w/ Bioderma and then Vanicream as second cleanse like Dr. Idress suggested, but after following it w/ my oil cleanser, there was still some mascara and a bit makeup left on the washcloth. If I haven't worn makeup, Bioderma and vanicream at night works well.

Sorry for the much too long reply. Have a great Sunday...

Respected Contributor

@Shanus not at all! (Mine was more long-winded...lol)

I follow Dr. Idriss too and find her much easier to watch than Dr. Dray.  (She's a trip!)

Same here, just splash my face with warm water in the a.m. and double-cleanse, using a makeup removing balm followed by a gentle cleanser. Right now, I'm loving the Aveeno Calm and Restore cleanser. It's so gentle.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@ScrapHappy  I haven't checked to compare every single ingredient in the facial moisturizer but it seems to be right on par with CeraVe which is dermatologist created and recommended.  I use a Walmart clone of the CeraVe.  I trust it and I'd trust the Vanicream moisturizer too.  Or are you talking about the body cream?  I personally wouldn't use that on my face, it would be too heavy for me, but someone who is super extra dry may find it beneficial.  Just because something is labeled for the body doesn't mean it can't go anywhere else.  I alternate my AM a moisturizer; some days it's the CeraVe clone and the days in between its the Alpha Skincare glycolic body lotion. Great results.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Shanus not at all! (Mine was more long-winded...lol)

I follow Dr. Idriss too and find her much easier to watch than Dr. Dray.  (She's a trip!)

Same here, just splash my face with warm water in the a.m. and double-cleanse, using a makeup removing balm followed by a gentle cleanser. Right now, I'm loving the Aveeno Calm and Restore cleanser. It's so gentle.

@Texasmouse   Loving Dr. Idress. I found her videos within the last 6 months athough have heard of her before that.

The Aveeno Calm and Restore line you mentioned  also has a wonderful triple oat serum with a dropper that can be applied to any red areas.

Important to note: all concerns cannot be adressed at the same time. C serums for brightness & fading darker areas, the Aveeno product for redness, hyaluronic acids/serums to increase moisture or exfoliating serums/creams to smoothe out rough patches if applied on top of each other can sometimes cancel out the others. I prefer to treat one or two issues at a time for 6-8 weeks and then move on to another treatment. 

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse 

I've been a "just a water rinse in the morning" girl for years.  I guess since my face turned dry.  Love Dr Idress!

I think everyone should have the Aveeno Calm and Restore products in their arsenal for those times such products are needed.  I don't use them very often but every once in a great while my face needs the serum and moisturizer.  Next day all is calm and restored Smiley Happy  When I use the Aveeno serum and moisturizer, I'm not using any other product except maybe an essence.