Occasional Contributor

Dr. Denese going with Guthy Renker?

So I just got an email that Dr. Denese is going with Guthy Renker! Is that a smart move? What does that mean for her company? Seems like a sell out, since I know when Ice Elements went with them, the company seemed to fizzle.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Denese going with Guthy Renker?

It seems to have worked really well for Chaz Dean and Proactiv.

Super Contributor

I've never had an issue with GR and the products I get through them. GR offers smaller companies a way to go global with their products.

Honored Contributor

The only drawback (besides GR's notoriously awful Customer service) would be if you aren't able to order individual products without having to have a "membership". But if they continue to allow you to buy what you want, when you want it (and they don't change any of the formulas), then it should be fine.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/6/2014 HappyDaze said:

The only drawback (besides GR's notoriously awful Customer service) would be if you aren't able to order individual products without having to have a "membership". But if they continue to allow you to buy what you want, when you want it (and they don't change any of the formulas), then it should be fine.

https://www.drdenese.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-DrDenese-Site/default/COCart-AddProduct

Dr. Denese Maximum Results Collection, 90-Day Supply. WITH YOUR ORDER TODAY, YOU'LL RECEIVE FREE GIFTS WITH FREE SHIPPING AND HANDLING! For today’s 90-Day Entry Kit, you will be charged 3 payments of:
• 1st Payment: $59.95 charged today (Free Standard S&H)
• 2nd Payment: $59.95 charged 30 days from today
• 3rd Payment: $59.95 charged 60 days from today
Approximately 90 days after your first order is shipped, and then approximately every 3 months thereafter, you will be sent a new 90 day supply of the 7-Piece Maximum Results Collection. You will receive the guaranteed price of $59.95 plus $3.99 shipping and handling per month, which will conveniently be charged to the card you provide today at the time of each shipment unless you call to cancel. There is no commitment and no minimum to buy. Please note exact shipment times may vary. To customize this program or future shipments and charges, call customer service anytime at (800) 401-1756. Every Dr. Denese order comes with our 60-day Money Back Guarantee less shipping and handling.

ETA: Also available...
Dr. Denese Daily Youth Essentials, 30-Day Supply. WITH YOUR ORDER TODAY, YOU'LL RECEIVE FREE GIFTS! For today’s 30-Day Youth Essentials Kit you will be charged 1 payment of $39.95 plus shipping and handling.
Approximately 30 days after your first order is shipped, and then approximately every 3 months thereafter, you will be sent a new 90 day supply of the 4-Piece Daily Youth Essentials Kit. You will receive the guaranteed price of $39.95 plus $2.99 shipping and handling per month, which will conveniently be charged to the card you provide today at the time of each shipment unless you call to cancel. There is no commitment and no minimum to buy. Please note exact shipment times may vary. To customize this program or future shipments and charges, call customer service anytime at (800) 401-1756. Every Dr. Denese order comes with our 60-day Money Back Guarantee less shipping and handling.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Regular Contributor

I haven't dealt with Guthy-Renker for purchases, but I know a little about them. In the infomercial world, they are giants. For months I've read here about Dr. Denese's appearances on QVC becoming less frequent. Reaching millions through infomercials is an attractive offer, depending on the arrangement with GR. Sometimes GR takes ownership of a company and the original owner gets a sum of money. They have different arrangements with different vendors.

As was pointed out, the Wen sold through GR is not the same Wen you buy here or through his salon. When Ice Elements had a trial with GR, there were changes made in the 2 Minute Miracle and some of the other products offered in a kit, though labeled Ice Elements, were not actually formulated by Shelly Maguire of Ice Elements. I know this from firsthand knowledge.

Dr. Denese may be ready to stop traveling to PA from NYC for appearances on the Q, and we all know what would happen if she all of a sudden switched to a vendor representative so she could dedicate her time to the practice of medicine.

If the GR test is successful, which it appears it was not for Ice Elements (they've pursued marketing through another route) it's almost a guarantee that the ingredient decks will change.

Honored Contributor

As I recall, it takes about six weeks to get anything from them. And when you order, you have to join the club where you get the product every three months or so. Cancel any time-right. Just try it. You can't thru to customer service but if you should, you never know if they get it that you want to opt out of the club. Never will I do business with them again but to be fair, it's been years since I did.

Respected Contributor

Not sure how successful she will be. Many who like her products may not need everything that is offered with an AD option and probably wouldn't continue to order. If you can change some of the products that you receive and like her entire line than it would be a good deal. If you only use a few of her products this wouldn't really work for you.

Occasional Contributor

On 10/7/2014 ProductGuy said:

I haven't dealt with Guthy-Renker for purchases, but I know a little about them. In the infomercial world, they are giants. For months I've read here about Dr. Denese's appearances on QVC becoming less frequent. Reaching millions through infomercials is an attractive offer, depending on the arrangement with GR. Sometimes GR takes ownership of a company and the original owner gets a sum of money. They have different arrangements with different vendors.

As was pointed out, the Wen sold through GR is not the same Wen you buy here or through his salon. When Ice Elements had a trial with GR, there were changes made in the 2 Minute Miracle and some of the other products offered in a kit, though labeled Ice Elements, were not actually formulated by Shelly Maguire of Ice Elements. I know this from firsthand knowledge.

Dr. Denese may be ready to stop traveling to PA from NYC for appearances on the Q, and we all know what would happen if she all of a sudden switched to a vendor representative so she could dedicate her time to the practice of medicine.

If the GR test is successful, which it appears it was not for Ice Elements (they've pursued marketing through another route) it's almost a guarantee that the ingredient decks will change.

Why does GR change the ingredients?

Respected Contributor

As much as I love this line, I will not stick with it if they change the product or the way I now purchase it. I don't like kits or auto delivery plans. I am very stocked up at the moment, so I'll have time to adjust. This makes me sad if true. I've been using this skincare line for years.