Occasional Contributor

Dr Denese Hydroshield drying?

I recently purchased the QVC2 big deal with the megasize Hydroshield and day cream. Is it just me or does the Hydroshield dry anyone elses skin out? I've never used these products before but the Hydroshield claims to be super moisturising but I really believe its irriating my skin and making it dry? Anyone else have this issue?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Dr Denese Hydroshield drying?

I'm guessing it's the retinol that's causing this.

Ingredients: Dimethicone, Glycine Soja (Soybean Seed Extract), Ceramides, Retinol, Tocopherol, Linoleic Acid, Linolinic Acid, Octyl (Ethylhexyl) Cocoate, Lecithin, Glycolipids, Phenoxyethanol.

Respected Contributor

I don't find it at all drying, but I think @summer is probably right. A certain percentage of people seem to find retinol irritating, which might feel like a drying effect.

Respected Contributor

I absolutely found Hydroshield drying to my skin, after I stopped using it, it took a long time for my skin to recover.  I might add that this was a long time ago, and it looks like the 'dryness' issue is ongoing.  Maybe a formula adjustment with the type of retinol used would help with the dryness problem.

Frequent Contributor

I understand what you're trying to say, I find it difficult to describe. I use the recent TSV along with the lipid oil and my skin has been looking great.  Are you using a moisturizer also?  I don't think the SPF 30 (which I also love) counts as a moisturizer.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is drying too -- or something like that.  I got the QVC2 big deal because I LOVE the day cream and use it every day.  So for virtually $10 more, I got the hydoshield too.  I tried it once before, years ago, and was not impressed.  I am still not impressed.  I don't know what exactly this stuff is supposed to do.  I like the fact there is a pump, but the nozzle needs to be longer so I can squirt it more onto my hand than my fingertips.  I will most likely keep using it until the auto delivery runs out.  So unless I see a dramatic change, I won't buy it again.  I also use Argon Oil, and going from that to the Hydroshield is a big difference.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Occasional Contributor

I've used retinol before but maybe this is stronger. Do you know the percentage of retinol in Hydroshield?

Frequent Contributor

@JoNikki wrote:

I've used retinol before but maybe this is stronger. Do you know the percentage of retinol in Hydroshield?

I don't think they give out that information. 

Below is from Dr. Denese's FAQ page:

Q: What are the percentages of active ingredients in your products?

A: We would love to answer your question. However, this is proprietary information and we cannot possibly answer it as all of our competitors would love to know. The best thing is to try our products yourself because you will be the best judge. You can always return it with no questions asked.

Frequent Contributor

I do not like the Hydroshield at all. Too greasy.