Respected Contributor

Dr. Denese Firming Facial Pads?

I've looked at the threads on this topic but most are discussing other aspects of using these...

I've used DD's products for over a decade. Last year have decided to trim back my spending on expensive skin care and am currently simplifying using some drugstore brands, like Olay, now that my last DD Auto-D deal had ended.

That said...I have a few of the facial pads jars left I'm still using, occasionally. I always had these leftover as I only use them off and on.

Question...what do you all use these for? What results do you get? Yes, I've listened to presentations, but sometimes DD is a lot of "word soup" and I still don't quite get what these are supposed to do. I sometimes feel my "normal to dry" skin feels too dried out by morning when I use this at night vs. when I just wash and slather on a night cream. Maybe that taughtness is the point? For me it makes me look too dry, I think...maybe I need to put night cream over it.

Any DD facial pads users than can enlighten me on the benefits you've had from these or what they are supposed to do if used regularly?  Of all the many products of DD's I've used, I've just never gotten fully on board with these, but now that I have all these jars left I'd like to use them if they are beneficial.

Thanks for any light you can shed!

Super Contributor

Re: Dr. Denese Firming Facial Pads?

I thought you were supposed to be using a moisturizer after using her pads.

Respected Contributor

@Justholdingon wrote:

I thought you were supposed to be using a moisturizer after using her pads.

@Justholdingon Probably so, I have at times and sometimes haven't; I will from now on, since it feels too drying when I don't.

I'd still like to know from anyone what these are supposed to do. Obviously it says "firm"...but I've never noticed any visible results. I'm just interested what others "get" about how/why to use these and if they've noticed any results from steady use. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hi @amyb 

I have used these in the past and to be honest I didn't really know what the point was either and stopped using.  I moved on from DD products and haven't bought or used in a long time.  

Recently, I started using Nassif MD Detox Pads and I love them.  I use them either as a refresher (if I don't have any make up on) or the step after removing my make up (it does pick up what cleanser misses) and then moisturizer.  

According to the presentation-- they are exfoliating and toning.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On her website it says to do this:

"Usage: In the evening after cleansing, take one pad and wipe the entire face area for about 60 seconds. Continue with your favorite serum and moisturizer."

"Who is it for: For anyone needing a superior exfoliating product. Anyone needing to combat dull skin, uneven skin tone, enlarged pores and fine lines and wrinkles. Suitable for most skin types, especially oily and problematic skin."

"Why is it different: Our signature, professional-grade Advanced Firming Facial Pads with proprietary Actizone™ Firming Factor delivers the perfect dose of daily exfoliating and firming effect. Each pad is infused with innovative ingredients such as peptides and high percentage glycolic acid in order to successfully address lines, wrinkles, uneven skin tone and enlarged pores. Results are visible and quick, enormous payoff for a small investment of time and effort."

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @amyb 

I used these for some time.  They are basically a very mild peel pad.  It is a very light resurfacing.  You should nourish your face with something good after you use them. Wait for the skin to dry before apllying the treatment.  The treatment will absorb better. after the light peel, and be more effective  The pads need to be used consistently to achieve results.  I used to use them morning and night, and followed with a treatment product to improve my freshly peeled skin.  My treatment of choice was Stri-Vectin, and it is a product I still like and use.  

Used consistently, the pads smooth skin texture.  But by using a peel and nothing else, you are leaving the peeled skin exposed, which is probably why it feels dry.  If you like olay products, find a treatment that you like and apply after the Denese product dries on your face.  Something with Hyaluronic acid would be good in addition.  But use consistently or you will receive no benefit.  You can start by using only in the evening, or every other day if you prefer.  Increase the frequency gradually.  You should notice a difference if you treat after the product in the pads dry.  The pads are not a standalone product.

I long ago moved to a stronger peel.

I was in my 40s when I started using them.  The pads, coupled with the skin care product, definitely smoothed my skin texture (wrinkles).  As we get older, we need stronger products to achieve results.  My skin is still pretty smooth.

Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb Just re-reaad your post and wanted to add that yes, I think the name "firming" is a misnomer.  "Exfoliating" or "smoothing" is more like it.

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe Wow...thank you so much! That really explains what I've been missing in these...I've used them totally infrequently, (first mistake), and occasionally followed with a moisturizer, but mostly didn't. No wonder I felt "what the heck are these really supposed to do?" You told me more than I ever got out of any "presentation" by DD herself on air!

Well, I have about 3 jars to use up...I will now do them every other night, followed by a good cream (I have Olay, but a few other favs...I'll see about if I have one, or getting with hyaluronic acid too...as I am still shopping for some new creams.) One of my favorites, I get great after effects as a night cream is Josie Maran's Honey Divine Drip...so for now I'll use that.

Thank you, again!...it all finally clicked for me with your explanation of why and how to use this, and what results to look for. 

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@amyb Just re-reaad your post and wanted to add that yes, I think the name "firming" is a misnomer.  "Exfoliating" or "smoothing" is more like it.

I agree 💯 with that...have always felt that way about this...never felt it was "firming" in anyway...however, I figured it was an exfoliator, as that's what they kept saying in the presentations. And, I knew I really wasn't using it often enough to see results. I'm going to give it a shot, consistently, until it all runs out. Then I'll reassess if I'll buy more DD down the line...it's just for now I wanted to see what else was out there, possibly more bang for my buck.

Thanks again!

Valued Contributor

@amyb - I was a Clinique girl for probably 30 years before switching over to Dr. Denese.  I think the facial firming pads are similar to the Clinique Clarifying Lotion.  I have used the facial firming pads every night for probably 15 years now, followed by her hydroshield and then moisturizer.  I have dry, sensitive skin.  So far I am pretty wrinkle free!!  After I use on my face, I do wipe the firming pad on the back of my hands (and depending on the season my knees too) before tossing it in the trash.  Good luck in your experimentation!