Respected Contributor
On 4/6/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 4/6/2015 winamac1 said:
On 4/6/2015 Chrystaltree said:

I doubt that a tv show contributed to his depression. The article I read said he suffered with clinical depression. I never saw him on QVC because I don't watch beauty shows but the article also said he used his face to test products and if you look at how the man destroyed his appearance, it's obvious that he had in addition to his depression, he had other psychiatric problems. It's sad that he couldn't be saved from hisself.

I sold antidepressants and antipsychotics to psychiatrists for many years. A tv show could help exacerbate his state of depression.

win, I don't doubt that. But for someone who is seriously depressed or has other psychological problems, many things can exacerbate their mental state.

But the fault does not lie with someone or something else, unless of course someone was harassing the man or goading him into suicide, which is highly unlikely.

This is not our call. We do not know. May he rest in peace.

Trusted Contributor

Very sad.

Do the math.
Super Contributor
On 4/6/2015 HappyDaze said:
On 4/6/2015 Vivian said: I agree with SusyQ3. It is unfair and simplistic to blame someone's death on a comedy spoof. Famous people have been lampooned throughout history. I cannot imagine that any comedian sets out to destroy another human being through humor. If Dr Brandt was suffering from an illness he could have been emotionally vulnerable but there has to be far more to this story that none of us knows. No one dies of parody.

I completely agree.

Me too. If people died from being teased once, no teenager would survive to adulthood.

Honored Contributor
On 4/6/2015 suzyQ3 said:

I doubt that a tv show contributed to his depression. The article I read said he suffered with clinical depression. I never saw him on QVC because I don't watch beauty shows but the article also said he used his face to test products and if you look at how the man destroyed his appearance, it's obvious that he had in addition to his depression, he had other psychiatric problems. It's sad that he couldn't be saved from hisself.

I sold antidepressants and antipsychotics to psychiatrists for many years. A tv show could help exacerbate his state of depression.

win, I don't doubt that. But for someone who is seriously depressed or has other psychological problems, many things can exacerbate their mental state.

But the fault does not lie with someone or something else, unless of course someone was harassing the man or goading him into suicide, which is highly unlikely.

I'm not blaming the spoof. I'm simply stating it certainly could have assisted in pushing him over the edge. He obviously was already compromised.
"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor
I am saddened by some of these heartless responses,
"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor
On 4/6/2015 suzyQ3 said:

I'm not blaming the spoof. I'm simply stating it certainly could have assisted in pushing him over the edge. He obviously was already compromised.

I know you weren't, win.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

How sad.

I used some of Dr. Brandt's products when he first came to the Q many years ago. They were expensive but good. Then he left QVC and I didn't buy any of his products.

RIP

Super Contributor

First, I want to say that this is tragic, whether a person is a 'celebrity' or not. Depression is much more complicated than some posters seem to realize. Feeling 'depressed' because of an identifiable life event (divorce, loss of a loved one) is different from a life-long depressive 'illness'. People lump these all in one category and they are not. Not having had a first-hand view or a close family member or friend suffer from the latter can make it difficult for people to understand...

Secondly, why look to 'blame' an outside party? This is why, IMO, we are so litigious - desperately looking to attribute blame. It makes more sense when it is a close family member, but from anonymous and arms length media or posters? Media's excuse is to sell sensation. What is our excuse on these boards?

And the hypocrisy! If a spoof of well-known 'celebrities' is attributed to this, then how about the constant bashing and slashing of the hosts/vendors here regarding their appearance and personal lives? Their every move is scrutinized and blasted to the point of insanity. Can posters be sued for driving them to despair?! Think about this for a second.

Trusted Contributor

I loved to listen to his show on XM. I was always impressed when he would encourage anyone to come to his office if they were in the area. He would say he doesn't just treat celebrities or famous people.

Contributor

Crisso, you're absolutely right about there being more than one type of depression. It would be great if people would learn about situational vs. clinical depression.

Oh well...