Respected Contributor

IT DIDN'T!!! Sheesh.

Honored Contributor

I thought we had gotten past the blame game here. Apparently not. Some seem determined to connect the dots come heck or high water by pointing a finger at actors/comedians/writers who were doing what they do.

Are caricatures mean-spirited because they highlight a person's most obvious features? They and parody are based on making us laugh at people and situations. It's an age-old form of comedy.

A myriad of things can exacerbate a person's weak or ill mental state. There is no predicting what it may be. When someone has depression or bipolar or any other serious mental disorder, it's the disease that is to blame, not a comedy routine.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I dont find it funny at all making fun of someones looks.You may and thats ok..I dont and never will.. Dr Brandts assistant said it DID bother him but it did not cause him to take his life...I never said that was why he did what he did.I am not blaming anyone for him taking his life but do believe that parody did not help him and added more discomfort to what he already had.

Super Contributor

I just never understand how anyone could take their own life, I understand if someone has a terminal illness and is hurting with pain. But it seems to me this man was a gentile, kind man. It is so disturbing. He had a lot of great products and cared about his profession. I think that show did him no favors. I think shows like that who make fun of someones looks needs to be re tooled. In this day and age of bullying, mocking, prejudice, we are a better society than this. If I saw a show that mad fun of me I would be so hurt, as I am sure he was. I only wish he had someone around him that maybe they could have spoke with him to help. SAD sad sad

Respected Contributor
On 4/7/2015 Melania2 said:

IT DIDN'T!!! Sheesh.

So, did your shouting and rude dismissive "Sheesh" help you make your point? Other poster's have just as much right to express their opinions as you do. No? You don't know the facts of what caused or added to this man's depression anymore then the rest of us do. All of this talk is speculation. The only person to know what caused his decision is dead. I hope he rests in peace.

Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2015 cody2 said:
On 4/7/2015 Melania2 said:

IT DIDN'T!!! Sheesh.

So, did your shouting and rude dismissive "Sheesh" help you make your point? Other poster's have just as much right to express their opinions as you do. No? You don't know the facts of what caused or added to this man's depression anymore then the rest of us do. All of this talk is speculation. The only person to know what caused his decision is dead. I hope he rests in peace.

Exactly Cody2! Other posters DO have a right to express their opinion, and this particular poster doesn't like it if others disagree with her.

Hi Magic!! I'd totally have to agree with your comments too. I didn't even know until yesterday Tina Fey was spoofing this man and so many were getting such a laugh out of it.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2015 Crisso said:
On 4/7/2015 winamac1 said:
On 4/6/2015 Crisso said:

First, I want to say that this is tragic, whether a person is a 'celebrity' or not. Depression is much more complicated than some posters seem to realize. Feeling 'depressed' because of an identifiable life event (divorce, loss of a loved one) is different from a life-long depressive 'illness'. People lump these all in one category and they are not. Not having had a first-hand view or a close family member or friend suffer from the latter can make it difficult for people to understand...

Secondly, why look to 'blame' an outside party? This is why, IMO, we are so litigious - desperately looking to attribute blame. It makes more sense when it is a close family member, but from anonymous and arms length media or posters? Media's excuse is to sell sensation. What is our excuse on these boards?

And the hypocrisy! If a spoof of well-known 'celebrities' is attributed to this, then how about the constant bashing and slashing of the hosts/vendors here regarding their appearance and personal lives? Their every move is scrutinized and blasted to the point of insanity. Can posters be sued for driving them to despair?! Think about this for a second.

I don't thnk most of us on these Dr. Brandt threads are "blaming the spoof". And, as I stated before, I certainly know the difference between situational depression and clinical depression. I've marketed products for depression and bipolar. What a few of us have been stating is that it most definitely did not help his state. It only exacerbated it. His problems were defnitely deep rooted.

And for a few to assume reasons why he went into his profession is just ridiculous. I see no irony at all to his choice of specialty. He obviously wanted to help others.

{#emotions_dlg.confused1} I don't understand why you read into my words that I was saying you where "blaming the spoof". I read your previous post and I understood what you wrote.

There are posters here who are implying a cause and effect link between the spoof and his death.

As for your second paragraph, I never said any of that. No doubt some people here will assume that by its inclusion that I did.

I was NOT speaking about you in my last paragraph! The poster who I was speaking of knows exactly who she was. She implied on several threads some not so nice comments about this physician and why he entered his specialty.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Seems that the constant mention of the show here does imply some blame, despite one poster reporting that although it bothered him, it was not the cause of his death.

A good part of comedy is parody, and often it does include caricatures. Most surely take it in stride and figure that any press is good press.

To tell you the truth, if I had seen that show, I actually wouldn't have even had a clue as to the person being spoofed because I'm not familiar with Dr. Brandt other than seeing his name here occasionally.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Dr. Brandt, I thought of you with such sadness last night as I applied your retinol GLOW product to my face. I was also sad this morning when I was putting on my makeup and saw a couple of your products on my makeup table. I look at them all so differently now. And as I mentioned in a previous post, I've been missing your fun and informative Sirius radio program now for many, many months. You were always so upbeat, goofy/funny (oh how you loved your alliterations!), generous with your advice, and truly concerned for the people who called into your program with their questions.....or as you liked to say, cosmetic conundrums. If I heard you preach it once, I heard you preach it a hundred times or more, WEAR SUNSCREEN DAILY! I will try to do better, Dr. B., I will try to do better.

I am not thinking of Tina Fey, or Martin Short, or anyone else now. I am thinking only of you, Dr. Brandt. YOU will be missed.....truly missed by many.

Valued Contributor

pupwhipped,

what a beautiful tribute to a great man. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel