Contributor
On 4/7/2015 winamac1 said:I don't thnk most of us on these Dr. Brandt threads are "blaming the spoof". And, as I stated before, I certainly know the difference between situational depression and clinical depression. I've marketed products for depression and bipolar. What a few of us have been stating is that it most definitely did not help his state. It only exacerbated it. His problems were defnitely deep rooted.

And for a few to assume reasons why he went into his profession is just ridiculous. I see no irony at all to his choice of specialty. He obviously wanted to help others.

Hi, Win. I don't doubt your knowledge. And I agree with the few who have stated that harsh treatment by others could exacerbate his problem.

After reading all the posts here and on Viewpoints, it seemed to me that many were indeed blaming without understanding. There was one post that stated that we need to "keep ourselves elevated"...would that it were that simple.

It's always nice to see you. In my experience you are so often the voice of reason.

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/6/2015 winamac1 said:
On 4/6/2015 Chrystaltree said:

I doubt that a tv show contributed to his depression. The article I read said he suffered with clinical depression. I never saw him on QVC because I don't watch beauty shows but the article also said he used his face to test products and if you look at how the man destroyed his appearance, it's obvious that he had in addition to his depression, he had other psychiatric problems. It's sad that he couldn't be saved from hisself.

I sold antidepressants and antipsychotics to psychiatrists for many years. A tv show could help exacerbate his state of depression.

win, while I certainly don't have the background you do, I am inclined to agree with your comments.

I am quite neutral about Tina Fey. Yesterday I watched the "Kimmy" episode in question on Netflix. First, I consider myself to have a heightened sense of humor and love a good laugh. However, in my opinion, there is nothing funny about that show. I was saddened though to see Martin Short quite obviously spoofing the late Dr. Brandt in what I consider a very mean-spirited fashion.

I can find humor (even politically-based) if we are talking about something as innocuous as Hilary Clinton's pantsuits or Andrew Weiner's (ah, weiner?) since he put it out there for the whole world to see. But to make fun of someone's looks was really insensitive and hurtful.

I don't know enough of the facts, but I think I can say without recrimination, "Tina, that most definitely was in poor taste."

R.I.P. Dr. Brandt.

Super Contributor
On 4/7/2015 winamac1 said:
On 4/6/2015 Crisso said:

First, I want to say that this is tragic, whether a person is a 'celebrity' or not. Depression is much more complicated than some posters seem to realize. Feeling 'depressed' because of an identifiable life event (divorce, loss of a loved one) is different from a life-long depressive 'illness'. People lump these all in one category and they are not. Not having had a first-hand view or a close family member or friend suffer from the latter can make it difficult for people to understand...

Secondly, why look to 'blame' an outside party? This is why, IMO, we are so litigious - desperately looking to attribute blame. It makes more sense when it is a close family member, but from anonymous and arms length media or posters? Media's excuse is to sell sensation. What is our excuse on these boards?

And the hypocrisy! If a spoof of well-known 'celebrities' is attributed to this, then how about the constant bashing and slashing of the hosts/vendors here regarding their appearance and personal lives? Their every move is scrutinized and blasted to the point of insanity. Can posters be sued for driving them to despair?! Think about this for a second.

I don't thnk most of us on these Dr. Brandt threads are "blaming the spoof". And, as I stated before, I certainly know the difference between situational depression and clinical depression. I've marketed products for depression and bipolar. What a few of us have been stating is that it most definitely did not help his state. It only exacerbated it. His problems were defnitely deep rooted.

And for a few to assume reasons why he went into his profession is just ridiculous. I see no irony at all to his choice of specialty. He obviously wanted to help others.

{#emotions_dlg.confused1} I don't understand why you read into my words that I was saying you where "blaming the spoof". I read your previous post and I understood what you wrote.

There are posters here who are implying a cause and effect link between the spoof and his death.

As for your second paragraph, I never said any of that. No doubt some people here will assume that by its inclusion that I did.

Super Contributor
On 4/7/2015 Alley Catvocate said:
On 4/6/2015 Crisso said:

First, I want to say that this is tragic, whether a person is a 'celebrity' or not. Depression is much more complicated than some posters seem to realize. Feeling 'depressed' because of an identifiable life event (divorce, loss of a loved one) is different from a life-long depressive 'illness'. People lump these all in one category and they are not. Not having had a first-hand view or a close family member or friend suffer from the latter can make it difficult for people to understand...

Secondly, why look to 'blame' an outside party? This is why, IMO, we are so litigious - desperately looking to attribute blame. It makes more sense when it is a close family member, but from anonymous and arms length media or posters? Media's excuse is to sell sensation. What is our excuse on these boards?

And the hypocrisy! If a spoof of well-known 'celebrities' is attributed to this, then how about the constant bashing and slashing of the hosts/vendors here regarding their appearance and personal lives? Their every move is scrutinized and blasted to the point of insanity. Can posters be sued for driving them to despair?! Think about this for a second.

I don't thnk most of us on these Dr. Brandt threads are "blaming the spoof". And, as I stated before, I certainly know the difference between situational depression and clinical depression. I've marketed products for depression and bipolar. What a few of us have been stating is that it most definitely did not help his state. It only exacerbated it. His problems were defnitely deep rooted.

ITA!

AC. I never said anything relating to the latter. Also, you seem to have a problem with me.

Super Contributor
On 4/7/2015 Karena said:
On 4/6/2015 Crisso said:

I agree, winamac1!!

And a few of "not you" were implying and said much more than this. THOSE are the posts I was referring to.

Contributor

Crisso, I think many of the comments about "situational vs clinical depression" were in response to my post.

I was responding to your post because so few others seemed to "get it". I thought/think your point about "lumping them together" was well made. My post was too abrupt I'm sure, but by that time( between many of the posts here and on the other thread) I was just frustrated.

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Frequent Contributor

Article in WWD today, confirms that it was a suicide

Trusted Contributor

So sad. I remember seeing him on Q years ago when he sold his line here.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor
On 4/7/2015 Crisso said:
On 4/7/2015 Karena said:
On 4/6/2015 Crisso said:

I agree, winamac1!!

And a few of "not you" were implying and said much more than this. THOSE are the posts I was referring to.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}...that one in particular.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Very very sad..And to think a mean spoof probably added to his feelings of unworthiness just makes this even sadder.Hopefully things will change and people will stop and think before they make fun of someones looks.