Contributor

Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion vs. Lancer Polish

I’m looking into getting an exfoliant that isn’t harsh and was wondering if anyone has used these and what your thoughts are? They both have pretty good reviews. I need help with choosing. Thanks.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion vs. Lancer Polish

[ Edited ]

I haven't used either. Their exfoliating ingredients are either baking soda or aluminum oxide crystals. Maybe choosing one or the other might be better for your skin type.

Trusted Contributor

Lancer: Polish falls into, unfortunately, due to its aggressive combination of magnesium oxide fragrance ingredients (like lavender). While magnesium oxide crystals are the same used for dermatologist-administered microdermabrasion treatments, you won't get the same results with a scrub (the microdermabrasion machine does a lot of the work). The plant enzymes don't add benefit to this product given it's a rinse-off formula and enzymes don't offer exfoliation benefits. Despite the emphasis in the marketing messaging, the warming sensation (a result of the magnesium oxide mixing with water) this scrub exerts on skin has no added benefit—it's purely for aesthetic appeal.

Dr. Brandt:  Microdermabrasion for Face doesn’t deserve consideration over the multitude of other topical scrubs claiming to mimic the effects of microdermabrasion because they use the same crystals. Brandt’s version is quite abrasive, and even without this issue, Neutrogena’s version is very effective and one-third the price.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@henderson 

Lancer uses sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) as the primary exfoliant. That is the second ingredient listed in the deck. He also uses some silica (small amount of that, it's super-fine sand) and MgO which is not as harsh as aluminum oxide (pretty much a standard ingredient in the industry) used in Brandt's. But still the sodium bicarb makes up for that...it's way too harsh imo.

Contributor

@henderson Have you used the Neutrogena microdermabrasion system? I used it many years ago when it came with a cream exfoliant not the puffs.
Honored Contributor

@henderson wrote:

Lancer: Polish falls into, unfortunately, due to its aggressive combination of magnesium oxide fragrance ingredients (like lavender). While magnesium oxide crystals are the same used for dermatologist-administered microdermabrasion treatments, you won't get the same results with a scrub (the microdermabrasion machine does a lot of the work). The plant enzymes don't add benefit to this product given it's a rinse-off formula and enzymes don't offer exfoliation benefits. Despite the emphasis in the marketing messaging, the warming sensation (a result of the magnesium oxide mixing with water) this scrub exerts on skin has no added benefit—it's purely for aesthetic appeal.

Dr. Brandt:  Microdermabrasion for Face doesn’t deserve consideration over the multitude of other topical scrubs claiming to mimic the effects of microdermabrasion because they use the same crystals. Brandt’s version is quite abrasive, and even without this issue, Neutrogena’s version is very effective and one-third the price.

Plant enzymes, like papain, are exfoliants. You use them in a mask and leave them on for at least 20 minutes to work, then rinse off.

Putting baking soda, which is the exact wrong pH for human skin, on your face every day is just asking for a trip to the dermatologist. Baking soda has a pH of 9 which is alkaline, and human skn has a pH of 4.5-5.5, which is acidic. Not cool that a doctor would put their name on such a thing.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Contributor

@SilleeMee I appreciate your response and everyone else’s. Can you sure what you use to exfoliate your skin?
Highlighted
Contributor

Honored Contributor

@TriciaPat wrote:
@SilleeMeeI appreciate your response and everyone else’s. Can you sure what you use to exfoliate your skin?

@TriciaPat 

I use glycolic acid (10%) in cream form. That is what is called a chemical exfoliant. I am a Retin-A user so I have to be careful how I exfoliate my skin. Crystals and most other kinds of physical exfoliants are too harsh for me. The only other thing I use occasionally is a cotton muslin cloth. That kind of cloth has texture that helps remove dead skin effectively and gently. I'm almost 65yo and my skin can get irritated easily if I'm not careful. Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

SAVE your hard earned CA$H - use Baking Soda...that's cheap, effective, not harsh (so long as you are not  s c r u b b i n g   hard) and leaves your skin very soft and smooth.

I mix it with baby bath and love how it leaves my skin.