Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dont buy Cheap Skin Care

Actually it is kind of a game of chance when we buy things to put on our skin or in our bodies.  We read the ingredients and hope it's all ok.  With all the food recalls and medication recalls at the FDA these days who knows?  We have to have tremendous faith in the overseeing agencies. All in all they do a good job.

I know this product was from Mexico and reworked from the original. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

I actually enjoy shopping at the Dollar General. Not beneath me at all, and not what I consider a waste of time. It's a quick trip to browse for some little odd and end that I need. You never think you need parchment paper until you do. Smiley LOL 

I have read and read again about buying any cosmetic products from Mexico.  All you need to is look at the label.  It will show where the product is from.  My beautiful Grandmother used Ponds products and had the most beautiful complexion I've ever seen. I like the Ponds Cold Cream to remove make up. But, I do check the label. 

I buy all kinds of things from DG - paper products, household cleaners, mops, brooms, containers for Christmas cookies, lots of things.

It's only a couple of miles from my house.  Easy to get to and a loaf of bread is always fresh. Smiley LOL 

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV @Georgiagrama 

Yes, I like Dollar stores...but that's not part of the story.

These items were altered....and the woman sought out this

bootlegger who was a 3rd party vendor.  She knew mercury was

in this altered item.  These items won't be in stores.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@MoJoV @Georgiagrama 

@sidsmom  Did the article say why she bought the product if she knew it was tainted?  Or did she not know and just purchased because of price?   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@MoJoV @Georgiagrama 

@sidsmom  Did the article say why she bought the product if she knew it was tainted?  Or did she not know and just purchased because of price?   

@Georgiagrama 

Her son was interviewed. I posted the link upthread.

She had been using mercury items from this bootlegger for some time

because they worked better. The latest item she rec'd had add'l,

higher levels of mercury.  Yes, she knew she was purchasing 

mercury cream...did she know she would end up in the hospital?

Prob not...but she knew they were mercury on some level. 
And as for price?  She prob spent really good money to have

these bootlegged items. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom  Thank you for your information.  It does make you wonder what people will do to keep from looking their age.  I guess I'd rather die looking like a prune than go to this extreme. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@MoJoV @Georgiagrama 

@Georgiagrama 

these bootlegged items. 

@sidsmom, I checked out your link but can't find where it says that she knew it was tainted with mercury.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@MoJoV @Georgiagrama 

@Georgiagrama 

these bootlegged items. 

@sidsmom, I checked out your link but can't find where it says that she knew it was tainted with mercury.

@suzyQ3 

The son said she knew it was altered.

But you're right..it didn't say mercury.

If I bought a product not in a store, but from a 3rd party with

no safety labels...I would assume I'm buying illegal items.

How can you think otherwise?  
As illustrated in the article below, this woman could've been one

of those who got angry & kept using the product after being warned.

I saw this online (Kaiser Health News, Oct 2019):

In California, state public health officials are developing a campaign to educate shopkeepers and consumers. They also train volunteer community health workers like Sandra Garcia, 63, to meet with families to discuss the symptoms of mercury poisoning.

Garcia, who lives in Tulare County and picks and packs grapes for a living, estimates that she has purchased creams from 40 stores to send to public health officials for testing since March. And she has visited 60 homes to hand out brochures and help residents identify poisonous products.

There are people that get angry and say that the cream is good and that nothing bad has happened to them,” she said. “But the majority of people are frightened and give me their creams.”

Leads on retailers that sell mercury-laced products may be handed over to law enforcement for potential follow-up, said California Department of Health spokesman Corey Egel.

Public health officials recommend consumers avoid buying cosmetics at swap meets and flea markets, and check that products are properly sealed and labeled.

At a discount store near MacArthur Park in Los Angeles, shop worker Lili Garcia dismissed the notion that consumers should avoid skin creams manufactured abroad.

She sells unopened jars of Pond’s Rejuveness cream from Mexico for $5 and $10, depending on the size, while Target lists American versions for $8 and $15, respectively.

Garcia, who uses the same cream herself, said she had heard about the Sacramento woman on the news and felt sorry for her. But she said it’s up to consumers to check that products are sealed; beyond that, there isn’t much else they can do.

(bolding my emphasis)

Esteemed Contributor

Also, it's not wise to buy cosmetics from Ebay, Amazon, or other 3rd party sellers.  The products may be counterfeit or altered in some way.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@MoJoV @Georgiagrama 

@Georgiagrama 

these bootlegged items. 

@suzyQ3 

The son said she knew it was altered.

But you're right..it didn't say mercury.

If I bought a product not in a store, but from a 3rd party with

no safety labels...I would assume I'm buying illegal items.

How can you think otherwise?  
As illustrated in the article below, this woman could've been one

of those who got angry & kept using the product after being warned.

I saw this online (Kaiser Health News, Oct 2019):

In California, state public health officials are developing a campaign to educate shopkeepers and consumers. They also train volunteer community health workers like Sandra Garcia, 63, to meet with families to discuss the symptoms of mercury poisoning.

Garcia, who lives in Tulare County and picks and packs grapes for a living, estimates that she has purchased creams from 40 stores to send to public health officials for testing since March. And she has visited 60 homes to hand out brochures and help residents identify poisonous products.

There are people that get angry and say that the cream is good and that nothing bad has happened to them,” she said. “But the majority of people are frightened and give me their creams.”

Leads on retailers that sell mercury-laced products may be handed over to law enforcement for potential follow-up, said California Department of Health spokesman Corey Egel.

Public health officials recommend consumers avoid buying cosmetics at swap meets and flea markets, and check that products are properly sealed and labeled.

At a discount store near MacArthur Park in Los Angeles, shop worker Lili Garcia dismissed the notion that consumers should avoid skin creams manufactured abroad.

She sells unopened jars of Pond’s Rejuveness cream from Mexico for $5 and $10, depending on the size, while Target lists American versions for $8 and $15, respectively.

Garcia, who uses the same cream herself, said she had heard about the Sacramento woman on the news and felt sorry for her. But she said it’s up to consumers to check that products are sealed; beyond that, there isn’t much else they can do.

(bolding my emphasis)

Thanks for clarifying that she didn't know it was mercury-lased, @sidsmom.  To me, that's an important distinction. I just had a hard time believing that someone would purposely use such a product.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland