Super Contributor

Re: Dont buy Cheap Skin Care

One day I bought a jar of Ponds skin cream, just because it reminded me of my mom.  I used it twice, but I don't use much of anything anymore, and I did buy it from a major drug store.  I remember a friends mother would go to Mexico every year and buy up Vanilla?  She always asked if the ladies in the office wanted any, I declined.

Respected Contributor

This isn't really a "don't buy cheap skincare" story, this is yet another "only buy from authorized retailers" story.

The Cut has an article about this titled A Woman Fell Into a Coma After Using a Tainted Wrinkle Cream. It explains that the cream was not purchased from any store in the USA. The woman said her son bought it from a woman she knew and apparently that woman got it in Mexico, but they didn't say where in Mexico. Did it come from a store or from a guy on the corner? Don't know.

There are millions of dollars worth of counterfeit cosmetics floating around in the USA. Buy from authorized retailers and your odds of running into them are dramatically decreased.

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Why would anyone waste the time to shop at a dollar store? My time is worth more than a dollar. I've never been to one and don't understand the attraction.

Always felt the products must be past the "sell by" dates or something. Not interested enough to find out. 

Because that's what they can afford. Maybe instead of putting them down, you should consider yourself lucky.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

Why would anyone waste the time to shop at a dollar store? My time is worth more than a dollar. I've never been to one and don't understand the attraction.

Always felt the products must be past the "sell by" dates or something. Not interested enough to find out. 

@BirkiLady 

That's everyone's choice to purchase items at the location

of their choice but....what does the dollar store 

have to do with this story?

Unless it's been edited, the OP, for some reason I don't get,  mentioned it in her first post.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@BirkiLady   For those on a budget....or those  many on welfare, the dollar stores are a great help.  It is necessity.....not attraction.  You are fortunate.

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Mind if I borrow that?

You'd be surprised at how many who love to shop the Dollar Stores also read and post on these forums.

Now...back to the topic of this thread:

Thank you @Lipstickdiva for providing more facts.

Honored Contributor

I personally will not use drug store or dollar store brands of skin care. That being said, my Mom used Pond's cold cream and Oil of Olay her whole adult life and she had the most beautiful skin.

Respected Contributor

I'm in this corner, standing up for the Dollar Tree. You can go in there with $5 and come out with a hardbound cookbook, two dishcloths, a thick sudoku collection, two birthday cards, and a flashlight. That's my kind of place.

Super Contributor

I find it fascinating that many people who have money, are just completely unable to understand or comprehend the daily dire existence of those who do not have money. Three years ago, I had money. Not a lot, but I earned a lower middle class income, and I was happy to do so. Fast forward to now, when my monetary situation is quite dire, and has been for a few years. I now have a new understanding of how people with even less money than I have must feel each day. It is scary to know that if even one medical emergency crops up, you would have to declare bankruptcy on your way into the hospital.

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkOutsidetheBox wrote:

I find it fascinating that many people who have money, are just completely unable to understand or comprehend the daily dire existence of those who do not have money. Three years ago, I had money. Not a lot, but I earned a lower middle class income, and I was happy to do so. Fast forward to now, when my monetary situation is quite dire, and has been for a few years. I now have a new understanding of how people with even less money than I have must feel each day. It is scary to know that if even one medical emergency crops up, you would have to declare bankruptcy on your way into the hospital.

@ThinkOutsidetheBox 

They don't want to understand.

Those who have less are the unwashed, and are beneath them.

They love to put on airs and to look down their nose at those who have less, and feel superior, as if they are somehow immune to loosing it all.

You see, it's the poor person's fault for being poor.

If only they had planned better, like they did, had not spent money on "frivolous" things, like rent/mortgage, cable, food (and I'm not talking about fillet mignon) a beat-up second-hand 10+ year old car, then they wouldn't be poor.

You have to understand that they live in their own little bubble.

A bubble that they think can't be popped.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.