Honored Contributor

Re: Don’t do what I did! Lesson learned the hard way... 😥

I had a large stye inside my upper eye lid a couple of months ago.  I don't wear eye make-up.  I went to my opthalmologist office to have it taken care of.  (This was one time when the urgent care folks didn't solve the problem). Since then, my eye doc said that it's important for me to put a warm compress on the eyelid every day, twice a day for five minute periods to ward off recurrence

Honored Contributor

Skyegirl

How is your eye doing? And how are you doing?

When I read your post I kept thinking about all the movies that I have seen and the actress goes to bed/wakes up with her eye makeup done to the hilt. Thanks for your Public Service Announcement.

I should take a lesson from you. I have a habit of buying lots of makeup but then just throwing it in a drawer. And only using it on occasion.

Trusted Contributor

Baby shampoo can often disrupt the tear film. A better alternative is a lid cleanser. Good ones are OccuSoft Plus lid scrub (I cut the sheets in half) and  Heyedrate Lid and Lash spray (amazon). Both work amazing to keep my lids clean on a daily basis (I often alternate them). I have Dry Eye and have had to learn what works for me.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I didn't have a stye but I had a fairly large milia on my upper lash line. I could plainly see it because it was causing my eyelashes to separate....uggh! Had it removed a few weeks ago and the doc said the milia was located in an unusual place. The doc didn't offer a reason for it being there but I wonder about eye makeup and it's removal being a contributing factor.

Esteemed Contributor

@Skyegirl21

Certainly hope that your eye lid(s) is/are almost healed completely.

*  I stopped wearing mascara altogether three years ago.*

With all of the additives for length, volume..

I found only one that did not cause irritation or any eyelash clogging, and that was over six years ago. 

The removal... cleansing...  was not worth [it] (for me) using any eye make up solution(s) ....they too caused irritation. Some had oil, some you had to go over & over, some were just simply irritating- high end brands were the worse for (me).

I never  had `this problem`  as a teen, or actually 6 years ago. 

{I do not wear glasses:  rx or readers, nor contact lenses.}

Also, I am noting contact lens users are having many more problems than I was aware of, also.

The cleansing of the contact lens is of a greater importance=crucial.

Certainly hope this never happens again and that your eye health is back to a no blockage of the tear duct.

Some good advice here.

"can not speak about baby shampoo, though, either".

Respected Contributor

I have worn contacts since I was 16yrs old....had a job and could pay for them (was the only way to get them) am now 53yrs old.  I have never had a single eye infection from contacts BUT I also never sleep in them or shower in them or swim in them!  EVER and I believe that some of these long wear kind could be the true reason people have eye infections from contact lens. 

I only wear the 30day disposable kind and I take them out every night and put in fresh solution to disinfect them.  I know there are the kind you can toss each day but they are very expensive and this has worked perfectly for me for almost 40yrs.  I can't give up contacts...glasses to me are such a PITA.  I only wear them in the evenings before bedtime and when I 1st get out of bed until after my morning shower.

I did have a small stye yrs ago on my upper lash line....I just used warm compresses and no eye makeup for about 1wk and it went away.  Never got another one....have no idea why I got it.  If yours doesn't seem to be responding to the medication call your doc or go see an eye doc soon....don't wait...best wishes!

Respected Contributor

I’m doing better!  The eyelid swelling and tenderness has gone down a lot today.  The infection is clearing.  Thanks so much for the kind wishes~❣️ Skye

Respected Contributor

@Skyegirl21My adult daughter who lives with me had a sty on her lid a week ago.  She went to a walk in urgent care center and the doctor prescribed an eye ointment of erythomycin to be applied twice a day.  It cleared it in three days.  Hardest part was I had to apply the ointment squirting a little line of it between her eye and bottom lid without touching her eye to the tiny tube. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Skyegirl21

I just got over an episode with my right eye. It wasn't a stye or pink eye, but I get a plugged and infected area when I fall asleep with out cleansing my face well. I'll use the cleansing cloths, but it does not replace a good cleansing and then I get this eye episode. I have to do drops that are expensive also. We all need to take heed and not slack off when we clean our eye makeup off. I am not always vigilant on tossing mascaras at 3 months either. This last episode was awful, my eye was so swollen and it itched and hurt so bad. Hot and cold compresses helped, but the drops are what cleared it up. After this last episode, I am not going to neglect my eyes again. 

Afew years ago I had to have the "growth" removed by an optomologist and that was horrible. You would have thought I'd know better. I hope you are feeling better and I don't know what drops you use, but mine are a very expensive prescription too. Live and Learn. I think tomorrow I am throwing out all my mascaras and eyeshadows and open new ones. Thank You for posting and giving us all a good reminder.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite, I do monovision.  The only infection I've ever had was before they learned I couldn't sleep in any lenses.  Seems I'm allergic to the protein on the lense.