Honored Contributor

Re: Don't Know Where Else To Go

@pommom wrote:

@SilleeMee

The products I received from my derm were too harsh.  When I returned after one month, she told me to stop using them immediately.  Didn't have any luck with other products she had to offer.  Just stopped going.

@pommom  You can keep trying many products in various combinations until you find what may work or maybe find another derm. I may also suggest that if you haven’t had a physical lately (w/ blood work), that may be a good place to begin to rule out any issues there.

I know it seems like a hamster on a wheel & frustrating, but don’t give up. A solution is out there.

Honored Contributor

@pommom  If you can shop at a Sephora or Nordstrom, go get samples of various tinted moisturizers that are oil free.  I use Laura Mercier's oil free tinted moisturizer even though my skin is normal but it is an excellent product.  With you having so much difficulty with products getting samples makes sense.  Good luck.

kindness is strength
QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

Be thankful!  Oily skin often means fewer or no wrinkles!  Mine is dry, dry, dry...

Esteemed Contributor

When I was young with oily skin, my mom told me that one day I'd be happy about it.  She was right!  At 69, I've learned to live with my super oily skin and be glad I have it.  Probably doesn't help you, though.  I'd rather have oily skin than dry skin at this point in my life.  What works for me may not work for you, but I stopped wearing moisturizers a long time ago.  I wear a 'creamy' Vit C serum in the morning, and a Retinol 'cream' at night and no extra moisturizers.  I drink lots of water to keep my whole body hydrated. 

I wear oil-control primers under my foundation during the day.  If I get too greasy when I'm wearing foundation, I apply a matte powder.  When I'm at home without makeup, I let the oil flow, so to speak.  I keep my complexion as clean as possible and work to keep my large pores unclogged.   

The only time I get dry patches is the winter -- times when the air is so dry it crackles.  I use Pond's to clean my face and neck, and I use a moisturizer (either CeraVe or Neutrogena) then.  We're all different and what works for me may not work for you.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@Shanus

My PCP does blood work on me every 6 months.  I just had it done on August 1st.  Results were wonderful!  My cholesterol levels were perfect (after adjusting my eating habits.)  My blood pressure was 120 over 80.  She told me if I have these results next time on my BP, I can get off meds.  Blood count good.  Woo Hoo!!!

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pommom wrote:

@Shanus

My PCP does blood work on me every 6 months.  I just had it done on August 1st.  Results were wonderful!  My cholesterol levels were perfect (after adjusting my eating habits.)  My blood pressure was 120 over 80.  She told me if I have these results next time on my BP, I can get off meds.  Blood count good.  Woo Hoo!!!

@pommom    Congrats on great results. Thinking maybe thyroid or hormones. Those tested, too?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pommom wrote:

Powder-based foundation exascerbates the flakiness - and I exfoliate regularly.  Thanks for your input.  Will give Oil of Olay a shot.  Why not?  The only thing left that I haven't tried.  (The "Oil" makes me wonder....)

Just a thought-

Exfoliating can cause the skin to produce more moisture because - for lack of a better description- cells think the skin is damaged and produce moisture for protection.

whatever number of times you're exfoliating w/in a week or month, you may want to cut in half or more, and give your skin a few months to repair before adding another item into the mix, plus, if you're also using other ingredients which increase cell turnover, or ingredients which are irritating, they are providing exfoliation as well (not giving medical advice, though an RN, and consumer, I've learned a few things)  

Good luck! Cat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Frequent Contributor

pommom, I'm 68 and still have oily skin like you.  No moisturizer has ever worked for me except for Clinique's "Acne Solutions All-Over Clearing Treatment," in a light blue tube.  This has a bit of benzoil peroxide in it, but really it just functions as a great, lightweight moisturizer for oily skin.  I have been using it for years.  Sinks right in, feels good on, and has a slight medicinal smell which I find soothing.  Maybe it will work for you, too.  The salesgirls at the Clinique counter usually smile when I tell them I'm buying this for myself, but whatever works! 

Respected Contributor

Best I've ever found...I use day and night. Gives a tightening effect feel to my skin...NOT greasy!

Image result for acure night cream