Super Contributor
I love the Dollar stores for books, greeting cards, and some cleaning items. I would never buy food or any item to be used on or in my body.
Trusted Contributor

uh oh just bought toothpaste there 2 days ago... but i'm not gonna throw it out hope my teeth dont fall out yes and its the same packaging as crest.........

Super Contributor

I mostly buy my cards, gift bags & cleaning tools at dollar tree. Also a good deal on frozen veggies namebrands. I have never purchased makeup unless it's a brand I recognize.

Honored Contributor

The sequin story reminds me of the time Suzanne Somers was selling a glass "gem" paperweight on HSN. The manufacturer had spelled her name Summers. They still attempted to sell the item, she said the mis-spelling would make it collectable. Yes, that's Suzanne for you.

Honored Contributor

An investigation was done on dollar store products and it was determined that the toothpastes are definitely not the same and should not be used. They are not approved by the American Dental Association.

It has something to do with the level of fluoride in the toothpaste being much higher than allowed in the US. I seem to recall some of the toothpaste had 10 times the level of fluoride as we have and if you use this regularly and accidentally swallow some, you could be poisoning yourself.

Trusted Contributor
On 10/29/2014 LipstickDiva said:

An investigation was done on dollar store products and it was determined that the toothpastes are definitely not the same and should not be used. They are not approved by the American Dental Association.

It has something to do with the level of fluoride in the toothpaste being much higher than allowed in the US. I seem to recall some of the toothpaste had 10 times the level of fluoride as we have and if you use this regularly and accidentally swallow some, you could be poisoning yourself.

{#emotions_dlg.scared} so to use or not to use... at least it was only 1.00 {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Esteemed Contributor

Becasue I've read so much about fake packaging in dollar stores, I buy things like toothpaste when they're loss leaders at the food store. You can often get it for $1 then! Love dollar stores for lots of items, but not for health and beauty products.

Honored Contributor

WHO did this investigation? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor

I see poor women who have absolutely beautiful skin. They no doubt purchase their facial and skin products from discount stores.

Honored Contributor
On 10/29/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

WHO did this investigation? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I remember seeing the segment on our local news but it wasn't a local investigation. They just ran the piece. I remember it being a number of years ago.

I'm sure you can google it.