Valued Contributor

I would buy that Nivea made in Germany. I buy many things from my local dollar store, all name brand. Never had a reaction from a product.

Super Contributor

I buy a lot of products from my local Dollar Tree. Haven't had a reaction to any of them. My daughter uses makeup from them with no problems. This store sells quality items & I love shopping there.

There is a huge markup in retail products & among those stores who sell them. I've stated before that when I worked in a general merchandise store I would see the price list for what the owners paid for their merchandise & then I was given the markup price to put on the merchandise. We also cut out pictures from a very popular mail order catalog showing how much more of a markup they did for the same product & you had to pay shipping & handling as well.

High end stores like to make you think you are buying what you are paying for, but that isn't how it works.

Respected Contributor
On 10/28/2014 Pianomama said:

I, too, am curious about whether some 99 cent store products such as toothpaste is up to par. When I look at the toothpaste boxes (such as Colgate), they look and read exactly like the ones say, at Target. Are they the same???? How about toothbrushes? You can get Oral-B toothbrushes so much cheaper. As for face cream, I don't know that I would purchase there, although I might body lotion. I HAVE purchased shampoos (ocassionally you see name brand), but I would be careful about all that stuff.

I buy toothbrushes there all the time. I don't care about brand . . I buy the cheapest (sometimes it is a pack of 6 for $1). Never had a problem.

Won't buy toothpaste, though.

I've tried Brand X lotion, but did not like it (imagine!).

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Another reason some rather pricey and exceptional products end up in a dollar store is that there's an error on the label ..... directions, spelling, etc.

For instance, a quite nice child's Halloween costume was selling for 99 cents because instead of the correct word "Sequins" the label read "Sequence". {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Irregularities like that can produce real bargains for consumers! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

In any store I make sure beauty/food items are not made in China. Candy now a days are made in Mexico and other countries. Brach's candy corn is made in Mexico. Most candy canes are now made in China.

Esteemed Contributor
On 10/29/2014 Bungo said:

We buy many things at the $ Tree. Those concerned about where items are manufactured,ask your pharmacist where some of your Rx's are made.

Especially if you get prescriptions filled at Wal-Mart!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor
On 10/28/2014 Pianomama said:

I, too, am curious about whether some 99 cent store products such as toothpaste is up to par. When I look at the toothpaste boxes (such as Colgate), they look and read exactly like the ones say, at Target. Are they the same???? How about toothbrushes? You can get Oral-B toothbrushes so much cheaper. As for face cream, I don't know that I would purchase there, although I might body lotion. I HAVE purchased shampoos (ocassionally you see name brand), but I would be careful about all that stuff.

Look at the toothpaste box to see where the toothpaste is made. China or Mexico, no thanks. Things made in Germany would be ok.

Respected Contributor
On 10/29/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 10/29/2014 Bungo said:

We buy many things at the $ Tree. Those concerned about where items are manufactured,ask your pharmacist where some of your Rx's are made.

Especially if you get prescriptions filled at Wal-Mart!

It's true many of our supplements have ingredients from China. There isn't much we can do about that, but if possible I avoid products from China.

Honored Contributor

I did not say supplements-I mean prescriptions.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know the Dollar Tree took coupons. The 99 cent or Big Lots don't.