Honored Contributor

It's a real shame that we (as a country) aren't checking faux products with possible harmful ingredients, allegedly, and if true. These are chain stores, and the products could be easily checked, as the same products seem to be there daily for months, years. Let's hope they've been checked, though.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor
On 10/28/2014 kivah said:

Never buy food or makeup, toothpaste, cologne --- or anything u put on or in ur body from the Dollar-type stores. Most of the products are made in foreign countries (like China) and they try to make the packaging look like it's American made. They use toxic ingredients -- which are unsafe - below American standards. When u buy from ur local stores, the prices aren't that much more. You also don't know how old the products are. Don't take a chance.

I don't know which stores you are referring to, but there are chains that legitimately sell products found in other chains .... retail, grocery, etc. They often buy up lots when locations close, discontinued products, or products that have expiration dates of less than 10 months.

They cannot stock their entire stores with "made in China toxic fakes" ..... get real! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

As for the 99 Cents Store chain , I watched a show on the founder and his wife ... and how they got this chain going. It was based on the dollar .... 60 cents (tops) for the item, 10 cents for shipping & admin and 30 cents profit. This company was doing exceptionally well on the NYSE until the company took itself private again.

A chain this successful can't do this well for this long using fake products made in China! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Sheesh!

Honored Contributor
On 10/28/2014 ValuSkr said:

I shop only at the fancy dollar stores.

"Pure Michigan"
Frequent Contributor

You can trust family dollar. They get Proctor gamble product from factory !!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all replys. still don't know if I should toss it. This is not a public company dollar store. Its a local 99 cent place that's jammed with stuff, does a lot of business and has tons of health and beauty supplies, cleaning and other stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

You can always call Nivea (or whatever the product is) and ask why that product is in the dollar store. They are there for a reason: faulty ink on the packaging designs to recalled ingredients and everything in between.

I use Olay products. When I see them at Big Lots, I buy one (keep my receipt) and find out why they are sold there. In Olay's case, it's because the product has been discontinued.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Contributor

I just bought Crest toothpaste at Dollar Tree the other day and used a 50 cent coupon. How can they accept the coupons if it isn't actually Crest toothpaste?

Contributor

I would never use a skin product, fragrance or toothpaste that is so cheap. Just sayin.

Occasional Contributor

I'm in the minority, but I would go ahead and try the Nivea.

I buy makeup items all the time from the dollar tree, and have never had a bad reaction. I get name brand items all the time that are discontinued, or are getting to the end of the shelf life.

If you read the toothpaste boxes in the dollar tree, it says very clearly that they are the american versions.

I would have no problem buying beauty products from a no name dollar store, especially a busy store that moves it's merchandise.

Maybe my standards are not that high.

Honored Contributor

We buy many things at the $ Tree. Those concerned about where items are manufactured,ask your pharmacist where some of your Rx's are made.