Honored Contributor

Re: Dollar General Makeup Line

@jlkz -

What kind of vitamins did you get?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Where do Dollar Stores get the majority of their merchandise ????   Yes, China.

So does WalMart:  picked up a jar of vitamins last week and returned it to the shelf:  manufactured in China.  Not ingesting their stuff !

Exactly, and they can keep their clothes too. 

Honored Contributor

Nex time you get an RX ask your pharmacist where it was manufactured.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@elatedAny background on the products -  like where they're manufactured or an ingredients listing?  Lipstick would probably be the last thing I'd buy without knowing its source -  just too likely to be directly injested.  I wouldn't be as concerned with a blush or an eyebrow product as with a shadow or a liner but really I'll wait to get info.  Let us know if you test.

I would be very concerned about any blush or other powdered product having heavy metals or who knows what ground up in them.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As far as I know, all and any cosmetic sold here in the US, regardless of its place of origin, has to comply with the cosmetic safety guidelines set by the FDA. In other words, all cosmetics have to be safe to use and if they are not then they are pulled off of the shelves.

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetics-laws-regulations/fda-authority-over-cosmetics-how-cosmetics-...

Respected Contributor

sorry but i would never ever buy makeup or skin care or anything like this from a dollar store. there could be chemicals and lead in it!

Honored Contributor

About 13 years ago I saw a very pretty palette of colors in an eye shadow at Dollar General so I thought why not.  Within a few days I was at the Dr. with my one and only ever eye infection.  I will stick with buying my paper products ect..... there but not for my face.  As far as China I was reading the descriptions and detail once on that Chuck person who sales jewelry on Evine and it said his piece was made in China.  China is everywhere in everything, high end or low end.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@on the bay 

Since we are away from home, I haven’t taken a vitamin with my daily pills since I ran out of them.

Considering stopping them altogether....

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I have decluttered most of my cosmetics made in China - I still have an Australis banana powder made there though.

I realize that a lot of fine cosmetics are made there cheaply and even higher end brands sometimes make their makeup like eyeshadow palettes in China. Huda Beauty's smaller 9 pan eyeshadows are made there and I was surprised when I turned one over at Sephora and saw it was made in China.

I figure that beauty tools and implements are made in China but to me that's not the same as products you put on your face like eyeshadows and creams.

Valued Contributor

I do not use lipsticks/glosses or eye makeup  made in China.