Occasional Contributor

Really?! Get over it. You don't like it go somewhere else to get your hair done. OR if the client is there reschedule your appointment.

Honored Contributor
On 1/23/2014 laydee said:

Really?! Get over it. You don't like it go somewhere else to get your hair done. OR if the client is there reschedule your appointment.

If this is directed at me, well, no I'm NOT going to get over it. Why should I? Why do I NEED to tolerate what I don't like because someone thinks their pooch is on the same level as people? News flash, they're not. Different salon? Surely you jest.

If your comment is for the OP, then my comment still stands however...carry on and pay me no mind.

Honored Contributor

I don't mind any well-behaved dogs in places like salons, home depot, etc.. The only time it bothers me is when the dog is out of control or a barker. I don't know why people bring their dogs when they clearly are not well-trained. I don't see what the big deal is if they are well-behaved and not doing anything to bother you. I see dogs all the time in stores these days, even outdoor type cafes.

Contributor
On 1/23/2014 Lanikins said:
On 1/23/2014 florey said: The more I get to know people, the more I like my dog. Someone famous said that, or something like that. Anyone remember who it was?

"The more I know about people, the better I like my dog." Mark Twain

ITA

Contributor
On 1/23/2014 SimplySouthern said:
On 1/23/2014 Bonnieshores said:

Look, yes, some people treat their dogs as humans but I haven't met them. I don't put lipstick on my dog and I don't have theoretical discussions with her, nor require her to keep her elbows off the table. She is free to run and play and be goofy. Her job in this world is to live a life of frivolity as far as I am concerned and she does. However, like most dogs, she has assigned herself the duty of protecting me, not that she actually could as she is too small. But that's what she feels she should do even though I would never expect or want that.

She is not my surrogate child. She is however someone I love beyond words. She does not understand why I might feel the way I do at any given moment but she understands that I do feel and she will snuggle with me if she senses sadness. She will pick up on a light and joyous mood if I'm in one. Her brain does not process the way mine does but it does process and we have developed a relationship that is not mother and daughter but caretaker and her keep. It is close..it is gratifying and it is love. It is human and dog and it goes back thousands of years.

If I prefer her over people, it is sad....you are right. But that is due to my own experiences and if I ever found a human who had one tenth the loyalty, one tenth the altruistic tendencies, one tenth the exuberance on seeing me walk through that door as I do day after day, then perhaps I would feel differently. I do not hate people. I do not hate children. But I find that being with a loving creature who has no hate, who has no agenda, who is more pure of heart than I could ever hope to be is wrong, then so be it. She is a treasure. I would not treat her as a human because she isn't one. I do however treat her as a gift, as a blessing, as an enhancement and ultimate joy in my life because she is all that and she deserves no less.

What I don't understand is why humans must always qualify that our species is more deserving of consideration and good care than animals. There's room for everyone, isn't there?

ITA, Beautifully written.

well said

Respected Contributor
On 1/23/2014 Lanikins said:

I know it probably isn't appropriate, but I would absolutely love to see a dog in my hair salon. I think it's fun to see a random dog where you wouldn't expect it. There's a few stores where I live that have "shop dogs" -- just nice dogs that hang out with their owners all day, greeting people. I'm pretty sure it isn't a matter for the Health Department. Wouldn't that be for a restaurant? I know of a couple restaurants in the area that allow their dog to roam around the bar, but the restaurant is off limits because of this.

You are probably right regarding the salon considering they do not serve food and have to be inspected for such. Each state is probably different, but dog have hair/fur and go to salons to get theirs done. The process is much the same, but liability is a serious factor for the staff and owner. Dogs that are shop dogs tend to be used to different people and have great patience and tolerance for people. People's private pets may not be as patient and tolerant, so someone could get hurt, like those kids someone was speaking of. The ultimate responsibility will be the shop's because they can tell people not to bring them in. That is a bit more difficult to do with children, but they can corral them to one area and require a, "You break it, you bought it" policy. They also can print signs warning of the dangers of children running about, to keep them for being sued because a kid got hurt. There are darned stupid people of all kinds.

Respected Contributor

I saw this on the internet. This is the link.

http://www.justanswer.com/law/206iq-law-preventing-dogs-hair-salons.html

<h1>Is there a law preventing dogs from being in hair salons</h1>
<h3 class="threadTitle">Resolved Question:</h3>
A health inspector told a friend that there was a new CT law barring her from having her small dog in her hair salon. The hair salon is in a private
nursing facility. The dog is trained and quiet. The owners of the health care facility do not mind the dog, especially because he is good therapy for the clients. The health inspector said the law had to do with the dog's dander (although the dog is groomed each day before her owner takes her to work).
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal

REGULATIONS FOR

"BARBERSHOPS, HAIRDRESSING, COSMETOLOGY SHOPS, AND NAIL SALONS"

SECTION 11 MAINTENANCE AND OPERATION

(i) Animals, Pets or Live Birds No animals, pets or live birds shall be kept in any barbershop or hairdressing and/or cosmetology shop. This prohibition does not apply to trained guide dogs (or dogs in training) for the disabled, sightless or hearing impaired.

State laws, Sec. 19a-231, states "The director of health for any town, city, borough or district department of health, or the director's authorized representative, shall, on an annual basis, inspect all salons within the director's jurisdiction regarding their sanitary condition. " So the local director of health makes rules that must be followed in that district and above is the prohibition of animals.
Respected Contributor

These are the laws for Barbershops, Hairdressing, Cosmetology and Nail Salons in California.

This is the link for the booklet. I cannot find the specifics where this issue is discussed.

http://www.barbercosmo.ca.gov/laws_regs/act_regs.pdf

I am curious about the laws as well.

This is the main link.

http://www.barbercosmo.ca.gov/laws_regs/index.shtml

<h2>Laws and Regulations</h2>
Respected Contributor

I am still looking but I came across something under Frequently asked questions. http://www.barbercosmo.ca.gov/forms_pubs/publications/faqs.shtml#es9I remember a while ago...during 2013 Kim Kardashian and her sisters has Fish Manicures. Here is the law regarding such.

9. I would like to offer "Fish Pedicures". Are these legal in California?
No. After researching "Fish Pedicures", the Board determined that disinfection methods were not consistent with the Board's regulations. You may view the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology Statement on "Fish Pedicures".

Contributor

speaking of children, my neighbor let his child run to and from the hallway, sometimes riding his toy car/bike, for about half a hour or more, sometimes with other children,ithese kids are noisy and sometimes have tantrums: it's quite loud. once one child almost ran into an open elevator, as I was getting off. It's very dangerous. My dog is well-behaved, like most dogs, and this thing with the salon, its about responsible parents and pet owners. I wish they will allow more dogs into establishment. If they misbehave, then out, same policy with humans. Also be careful with leaving your dog tied outside of a business, I was at Starbucks once and from the window, I saw this suspicious looking man eyeing a small dog, that was tied up, I think he wanted to steal it, but he saw me staring at him, and went away