Respected Contributor
Why do people assume that if their dog is well behaved and house broken, that it should be allowed to go everywhere. I like dogs but not when I am shopping or eating or at the movies. What happens if someone has a big mean dog that attacks your well behaved dog? What about liability issues for store owners if dogs that have always been well behaved bites someone? What about other kinds of pets such as snakes, ferrets or miniponies. Should they also be allowed everywhere?
Frequent Contributor

Well, I don't like ill behaved kids either but there isn't anywhere you can go these days that are off limits to children. And I don't like people jabbering on cell phones when they are standing next to me in a store or on a train but I have to endure that every day too. That's just the beginning of my list...just because some people don't like animals, they should be banned from all public places?

Super Contributor
On 1/23/2014 Bonnieshores said:

I know a woman who would ban dogs from even outdoor places, stating they shouldn't be allowed anywhere but where they live. She nearly had a fist fight with a woman who brought a greyhound to a parade. Ever seen a greyhound? They don't make a peep. Her kids on the other hand.... It all boils down to the behavior of the dog...or the kids...and that is the human/adult's responsibility.

I don't think we can discriminate by breed. If someone brought their pit bull, would you see the point? Do we screen dogs by behavior? They have to pass a test to get in the door?

Why can't people just leave their pets at home? If you can't bear to be parted, well, stay home, too.

Frequent Contributor

I'd take my dog over most people any day....that's why I DO stay home more often than not. Happily.

Super Contributor
On 1/23/2014 Daysdee said:

In CA and many (most) stores have signs outside that only service dogs are allowed.

And they are cracking down on the "faux" service dogs, for people who lie.

Honored Contributor
On 1/23/2014 Bonnieshores said:

Well, I don't like ill behaved kids either but there isn't anywhere you can go these days that are off limits to children. And I don't like people jabbering on cell phones when they are standing next to me in a store or on a train but I have to endure that every day too. That's just the beginning of my list...just because some people don't like animals, they should be banned from all public places?

I don't think anyone likes ill behaved children. Nor do I like ill behaved parents who shout, shame, embarrass, and threaten their kids in public. I agree with you regarding inconsiderate cell phone behavior, I don't like it either. My DH has to put up with that too, not to mention the person with poor hygiene who sits beside him on the train and takes up more than his own allotted space. Life if full of inconveniences and annoyances. The difference is that every ill mannered child and/or adult has a right to be in a public place because they are either citizens or guests of the USA. Animals do not have the same rights.

Honored Contributor

In my entire life, I have never been to salon that allowed dogs. Not even an owner's dog. It sounds like a single incident. If the dog was well behaved and didn't bother me in anyway, I would have been okay with it...once. If I had a choice, I'd rather have a dog in a hair salon that someone's whiny, bratty kids. Thankfully, my current shop doesn't allow kids unless they are being serviced.

Respected Contributor

I work in a salon and a few people have brought in small dogs in dog carriers.

They weren't out of the carrier.

My boss took a dog out of the carrier once and kissed it on the lips.

The dog did not look pleased at all.

Honored Contributor
On 1/23/2014 chrystaltree said:

In my entire life, I have never been to salon that allowed dogs. Not even an owner's dog. It sounds like a single incident. If the dog was well behaved and didn't bother me in anyway, I would have been okay with it...once. If I had a choice, I'd rather have a dog in a hair salon that someone's whiny, bratty kids. Thankfully, my current shop doesn't allow kids unless they are being serviced.

In my case, it's the employee's dog. It's every single time I go to my salon. On occasion, I've had trouble paying at the counter because the receptionist's dog was ensconced quite comfortably on top of it. Seems like a nice dog and all, but I personally would not allow that if I ran a salon.

I know that it's not easy for some to hear, but animals are not human beings. Just because some humans may be dirty or noisy or obnoxious really has no bearing on where animals should or should not be allowed.

Regarding restaurants, many here do allow dogs in outside areas. I have no problem with that, even if we choose not to dine out with our dog.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

When I had my store, I would have MUCH rather worked with dogs all day than some people. Unless you've seen and experienced what I have with the general public, you have no idea. None. Animals have better manners, are more well-behaved, are in a better mood, & many times smell better than some people. They aren't on drugs, & don't carry weapons.

I'd trust a dog over a human more times than not.

Power to the pooch!