Contributor
On 1/28/2014 hullie said:

Qvclina you are so correct that we don't know all the hidden attributes of our furry companions………. dogs can sense cancer starting in their companions and it has been shown to save their life by early detection and that is just the tip of the iceberg. I just think we need to be tolerant and realize that we need to get over our sense of entitlement and that the world belongs to everyone not just us. We shouldn't be restricting these basic rights. It is not a matter of demeaning our particular species, we do that well enough on our own.

Thanks hullie

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog." –Mark Twain

Super Contributor
-
Regular Contributor
On 1/23/2014 Wadzlla said:

Illegal in Ohio. I am sure every state has different laws.

That's correct I have a current license in Ohio and it's illegal.

Honored Contributor
On 1/23/2014 hulagirl said:
On 1/23/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I adore my dog and think he's the best dog that ever lived, but there's appropriateness in all things. It would be selfish and inconsiderate of me, and I would be of place, to bring him anywhere I wanted to go and assume others would feel the same way about him that I do. For one thing, there are health laws. What if a client has an allergy? What if he has an accident? What about liability? If the dog bites someone, that salon (business) owner could be in some hot water for allowing the animal on the premises.

Thank you for posting this.......an actual sane pet owner. I think pets are fine if that's what you want, but assuming everyone else has the same feelings for your little baby, and that you can take it everywhere is just plain wrong.

I agree. I live in Austin and people bring their dogs everywhere. I don't think most of them think about the liability issues they create or the allergy problems. I'm allergic to dogs and I avoid businesses where I see people regularly bring their dogs in exactly the same way I avoid businesses where there may be people smoking.

Trusted Contributor

It is a person's right to be selective where they shop just as it should be a right that animals be allowed to accompany their companions. Austin sounds lovely. We should just be more tolerant of each other and base our laws on respecting each others rights rather than imposing your sensibilities into them. It is so arrogant to think ourselves better and more deserving than other living beings IMO.

Contributor

I live in a town of just a few hundred people. For many years we had a "beauty shop" in town. Not even called a salon, lol. The owner always had 2 or 3 dogs and she had them in the beauty shop. She would talk about how she wasn't suppose to have them in there but she loved them and let them come there anyway. I don't know that she ever got in trouble. She passed away a few years back and nobody wanted to take it over so now we have to travel several miles to a "salon".

Contributor

Yea, that would be weird having a dog at a hair salon. I can only imagine the bad things that could go wrong.

I believe allowing Dogs in hair salon is a health code violation in most states. We had someone bring a puppy on a leash the other day--no way was he house broken yet. No one said a word. We have a policy that only the person recieivng the service is allowed to be in the salon and there are no unattended children allowed in the salon. They are considered unattended if their parent is getting a service. The choices are:

1) Pay for your kid to get a service(s) until you are finished ...or

2) Come back when you are alone, can relax and enjoy your service

We also have a massage therapist who brings his dog to sit in our salon tied to the door. It is two feet from my station and I am allergic to dogs. I am sure he keeps his dog clean, but....it is still an animal. He is a lage animal. I should have rights as an employee too. To come to work in a dander-free environment where I do not have to have an asthma attack. It is not just always about the customers.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dogs and Hair Salons

[ Edited ]

Hi @Oregon Cosmo and welcome to the Beauty forum. Smiley Happy

I'm guessing that you did a search for topics that were of interest to you. Unfortunately, for your very first post, you replied to a thread that hasn't been active for two years. -- Latest reply before yours: 

‎01-29-2014 11:29 PM

lol, it's no big deal and it happens sometimes. Smiley Happy

Going forward, if you do a thread search, before you reply to the thread, it's always a good idea to look at the date of the most recent post. -- If it's an old thread and you still want to talk about the topic, the simplest thing to do is to just create a brand new thread. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Dogs and Hair Salons

[ Edited ]

@bebe777, good advice to @Oregon Cosmo. The only thing I would add is to let her know that this was a contentious subject that, IMO, is best left as is.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland