Occasional Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}Just wondering why some ladies bring along their dog to their hair appointment? I love pets but really don't want to sit next to someone's dog while my color is processing. I was having my hair color applied and one of the ladies there brought her dog and it was roaming around the salon. Now I don't mean a "lap dog", this was a medium sized fluffy husky type. The stylists were petting him and then going back to work on their client's hair. When I asked about it my stylist said that she always brings him. I guess I always thought dogs were not allowed in hair salons - but if the owners allow it is it still OK? P.S. maybe in LA but here in Phila? Any comments?

Super Contributor

Illegal in Ohio. I am sure every state has different laws.

Respected Contributor

I do not know. My son goes to a salon were the owner dog is there every time we go. I am surprised that the state board of cosmetology allows pets in salons.

Just to be clear, it does NOT bother me but surprised with all the hygiene guidelines salons are required to follow that pets are allowed.

Honored Contributor

I adore my dog and think he's the best dog that ever lived, but there's appropriateness in all things. It would be selfish and inconsiderate of me, and I would be out of place, to bring him anywhere I wanted to go and assume others would feel the same way about him that I do. For one thing, there are health laws. What if a client has an allergy? What if the dog has an accident? What about liability? If the dog bites someone, that salon (business) owner could be in some hot water for allowing the animal on the premises if it's against local laws.

ETA - I know Chaz Dean has his "Angels" at the salon, but that's a little different, in a way. It's his salon and I'd say the majority of WEN enthusiasts expect that they'll be there. If they don't want to have a dog near them then they can go elsewhere. If dog owners want to bring their pooch to the salon then they should seek out a salon that advertises as such.

Honored Contributor

If there was a salon locally that allowed dogs, I'd make an appointment. (Personally, I wouldn't want my own dog to be subjected to the smell of a permanent, but if there were others' dogs there to look at and meet, I'd go solo to dog watch.)

I saw a Medical Alert dog in the grocery store yesterday and it didn't bother me. It wouldn't have bothered me even if it hadn't been a "working" dog. I just like dogs.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor
On 1/23/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I adore my dog and think he's the best dog that ever lived, but there's appropriateness in all things. It would be selfish and inconsiderate of me, and I would be of place, to bring him anywhere I wanted to go and assume others would feel the same way about him that I do. For one thing, there are health laws. What if a client has an allergy? What if he has an accident? What about liability? If the dog bites someone, that salon (business) owner could be in some hot water for allowing the animal on the premises.

Thank you for posting this.......an actual sane pet owner. I think pets are fine if that's what you want, but assuming everyone else has the same feelings for your little baby, and that you can take it everywhere is just plain wrong.

Respected Contributor

I have never seen a pet were I go to get my haircut. The lady who cuts my hair has dogs but she does not bring them in her shop.

Honored Contributor
On 1/23/2014 hulagirl said:

I adore my dog and think he's the best dog that ever lived, but there's appropriateness in all things. It would be selfish and inconsiderate of me, and I would be of place, to bring him anywhere I wanted to go and assume others would feel the same way about him that I do. For one thing, there are health laws. What if a client has an allergy? What if he has an accident? What about liability? If the dog bites someone, that salon (business) owner could be in some hot water for allowing the animal on the premises.

Thank you for posting this.......an actual sane pet owner. I think pets are fine if that's what you want, but assuming everyone else has the same feelings for your little baby, and that you can take it everywhere is just plain wrong.

This could open the discussion of children in salons or other public places. Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
On 1/23/2014 just bee said:

This could open the discussion of children in salons or other public places. Wink

Definitely for the salon, but I'd argue about "other public places". My DD is a hair stylist. Just the other day she was sharing her frustrations over a client that came in with her FOUR kids! Only the mom was getting something done and there are signs posted to the effect of parents keeping their kids under control, but in reality, how is a mom going to discipline them if she's in the chair getting a haircut or color applied? Those kids were all over the place, running around, going where they didn't belong, etc. Really, who brings four kids and expects them all to sit still the whole time?

Honored Contributor
On 1/23/2014 just bee said:

Definitely for the salon, but I'd argue about "other public places". My DD is a hair stylist. Just the other day she was sharing her frustrations over a client that came in with her FOUR kids! Only the mom was getting something done and there are signs posted to the effect of parents keeping their kids under control, but in reality, how is a mom going to discipline them if she's in the chair getting a haircut or color applied? Really, who brings four kids and expects them all to sit still the whole time?

There are irresponsible pet owners and irresponsible parents.