Honored Contributor

No one here that I saw advocates anything but loving and compassionate treatment for animals. And no one here every claimed that all humans are stellar examples of our species.

But nothing in the lengthy post below this one changes the fact that animals are not human beings.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Occasional Contributor
On 1/25/2014 allaboutmakeup said:

I would rather sit in a hair salon with a dog , then screaming, bratty, touch everthing kids.

I would rather sit in a hair salon with screaming, bratty, touch everything kids than a dog.

Occasional Contributor

Maybe you should read the OP again and relax.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks Feline Fine for the website recommendation. If I were young I would go back to college and get my degree as an animal rights legal advocate. Some people feel so entitled with their label that we are human beings and therefore superior to all other species however intelligent or compassionate the other species may be. In many ways I feel that some people bring down an establishment and society in general with that kind of superiority attitude. Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone would just tolerate what is not their cup of tea and not be so quick to make some law to protect their sensibilities.

Contributor

animals are not human, but human are animals, and op have indicated that we are superior animals,and op has described having dogs ,in salons, nasty , not exactly an endearing (loving and compassionate) term, applied to dogs. Iin my salon, i would welcome our furry pals and would also, accommodate, those who address their issues with dogs, at my salon.. It's Not a big deal. Just some fyi: CLASSIFICATION OF HUMANS Kingdom: Animalia ; Phylum: Chordata; Subphylum: Vertebrata ; Class: Mammalia ; Subclass: Theria Infraclass: Eutheria ; Order: Primates ; Suborder: Anthropoidea ;Superfamily: Hominoidea Family: ; Genus, species: homosapiens

Said enough on this thread: Peace out
Frequent Contributor
On 1/23/2014 Bonnieshores said:

Look, yes, some people treat their dogs as humans but I haven't met them. I don't put lipstick on my dog and I don't have theoretical discussions with her, nor require her to keep her elbows off the table. She is free to run and play and be goofy. Her job in this world is to live a life of frivolity as far as I am concerned and she does. However, like most dogs, she has assigned herself the duty of protecting me, not that she actually could as she is too small. But that's what she feels she should do even though I would never expect or want that.

She is not my surrogate child. She is however someone I love beyond words. She does not understand why I might feel the way I do at any given moment but she understands that I do feel and she will snuggle with me if she senses sadness. She will pick up on a light and joyous mood if I'm in one. Her brain does not process the way mine does but it does process and we have developed a relationship that is not mother and daughter but caretaker and her keep. It is close..it is gratifying and it is love. It is human and dog and it goes back thousands of years.

If I prefer her over people, it is sad....you are right. But that is due to my own experiences and if I ever found a human who had one tenth the loyalty, one tenth the altruistic tendencies, one tenth the exuberance on seeing me walk through that door as I do day after day, then perhaps I would feel differently. I do not hate people. I do not hate children. But I find that being with a loving creature who has no hate, who has no agenda, who is more pure of heart than I could ever hope to be is wrong, then so be it. She is a treasure. I would not treat her as a human because she isn't one. I do however treat her as a gift, as a blessing, as an enhancement and ultimate joy in my life because she is all that and she deserves no less.

What I don't understand is why humans must always qualify that our species is more deserving of consideration and good care than animals. There's room for everyone, isn't there?

BRAVO!
Frequent Contributor
On 1/23/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I've loved all the pets I've ever had. I have never, though, placed them above humans in any way, shape, or form.

No matter how much you choose to anthropomorphize your pets, they are not humans and should not be compared to human beings. So the constant bringing up of horrid children and nasty adults seems jarring to me.

Of course humans can be rude and horrible. We're a complicated species because of our capacity for the degree to which we can think and feel, which can lead to the best and the worst.

I love my dog and her companionship, but it is not the same emotion that I have for people.

I know that others feel differently, but I can't help feeling sad that some seem to dislike humans so deeply and feel so alienated from them.

GREAT POST, ITA!!! It always makes me sad when I see a post that states that animal interaction/ companionship is preferred over human. I am a dog owner and lover! I love my dog to pieces! But I'm not going to disassociate myself from the human race. I know, I know, everyone is different, but I still don't get it :/
Respected Contributor

I would love to see dogs! However, I would worry about them breathing in all the nasty chemicals and stuff. I love mine too much to expose them to that.

Frequent Contributor

I realize this thread has gone way beyond the borders of the OP's story but that's often the case on many threads about all sorts of things.

IMHO, the reason that the dog versus child comparison comes up is because it is applicable. Are we comparing species? NO!!!!!!! We are comparing situations! The argument against dogs being in this place or that is what...that they might be noisy or dirty or poop....and that not everyone thinks they are adorable. And sometimes they are ill behaved. And that is almost always because their is a human who hasn't taught them or is inconsiderate of others.

Well, tell me what the difference is with kids?" Sometimes they are noisy and dirty and sometimes they stink of poop and not everyone thinks they are adorable. And sometimes they are ill behaved and once again, that is due to someone not teaching or minding them.

That's it. No one is saying they are one in the same. But some of us are saying that we love our pets as much as some of you might love your kids. If that is a problem for you, that is....a problem for YOU. Not me. Loving any of God's creations is a good, no GREAT thing as far as I'm concerned so I don't get why it distresses so many humans.

We are also trying to say that we think it is arrogant to think that our species is the only one of value, or, that because we have different intellectual capacities, that we matter more. Its pretty hypocritical and selfish to use animals (particularly dogs) in so many ways that enhance and protect our human lives to then turn around and dismiss them as lower simply because they are not like us. We matter differently. Not more, not less. Who are we to say otherwise? Humans and dogs (and other species of course) have central nervous systems. THAT is where we ARE alike and THAT is why I put them in as high a consideration as I would a human.

And I will say again, yes, it is disappointing to come to the conclusion that I love my dog more than I love most people. I didn't say everyone. I said most people. Why wouldn't I based on my own experience? Find me a person without agenda and incapable of cruelty (and I include myself) and I might think differently. Its taken a long time and a lot of experiences to reach this place. Perhaps you have not...consider yourself lucky. But I have also had epiphanies along the way that made me a better HUMAN by evolving into someone who loves animals so much and that is something I would not change even if I could. I am proud of the way I feel about animals. Not embarrassed at all.

And why the question of who would you save first always has to come up is beyond me...why do you even need to think in those terms? That's like who do I save...my very elderly mother who I love so deeply or someone who is 20 that I don't know and has their whole life in front of them...why even contemplate such things? But since you pressed me...my dog gets the lifesaver before someone I don't know at least...sorry...

Trusted Contributor

Bonnieshores I like your way of looking at life and your insights make a lot of sense……they also show a respect for all the beings around us, not just the two legged ones! Peace and love and may we all become more tolerant and accepting of the life around us.