Respected Contributor
On 1/23/2014 just bee said:
On 1/23/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 1/23/2014 hulagirl said:
On 1/23/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I adore my dog and think he's the best dog that ever lived, but there's appropriateness in all things. It would be selfish and inconsiderate of me, and I would be of place, to bring him anywhere I wanted to go and assume others would feel the same way about him that I do. For one thing, there are health laws. What if a client has an allergy? What if he has an accident? What about liability? If the dog bites someone, that salon (business) owner could be in some hot water for allowing the animal on the premises.

Thank you for posting this.......an actual sane pet owner. I think pets are fine if that's what you want, but assuming everyone else has the same feelings for your little baby, and that you can take it everywhere is just plain wrong.

This could open the discussion of children in salons or other public places. Wink

Definitely for the salon, but I'd argue about "other public places". My DD is a hair stylist. Just the other day she was sharing her frustrations over a client that came in with her FOUR kids! Only the mom was getting something done and there are signs posted to the effect of parents keeping their kids under control, but in reality, how is a mom going to discipline them if she's in the chair getting a haircut or color applied? Really, who brings four kids and expects them all to sit still the whole time?

There are irresponsible pet owners and irresponsible parents.

ITA....

Honored Contributor

If there was a salon locally that allowed dogs, I'd make an appointment. (Personally, I wouldn't want my own dog to be subjected to the smell of a permanent, but if there were others' dogs there to look at and meet, I'd go solo to dog watch.)

I saw a Medical Alert dog in the grocery store yesterday and it didn't bother me. It wouldn't have bothered me even if it hadn't been a "working" dog. I just like dogs.

Legit service dogs don't bother me at all. In fact, if I could I'd probably want to pet them. When I was in Europe I'd see people with their dog, one in a department store. I can't say it really bothered me, but it was "different", and pretty typical there I'm told. Generally speaking, IMO it goes more toward the consideration of others rather than expecting everyone else to cater to me.

Super Contributor

I have never been in a salon where someone brought their dog! I'd call the health dept. and report the salon, they shouldn't be allowing this. I love my dog but I would NEVER take him to a salon. I don't even want to be around children when I go get my hair done!

People are ridiculous with their pets and children now. I have even seen people bring infants to movie theatres! If you are a parent of an infant or toddler and can't get a sitter, stay home and don't annoy other theatre guests, do not bring your little one to a movie theatre, especially if the feature is rated PG13 or R! People don't have manners today and are so rude and inconsiderate.

Super Contributor

I have seen dogs in the waiting area of salons in the past but they are usually just "visiting". The salon I have been going to has a rule that children are not allowed on the salon floor or the spa unless having a service.

I see more and more dogs in the department stores. I was in H&M and the staff was cleaning an area a dog had peed in, right by a rack of clothes. IMO that is over the top. Pets - UNLESS they are service dogs - do not belong in stores other than PetCo or similar shops.

Valued Contributor

I know it probably isn't appropriate, but I would absolutely love to see a dog in my hair salon. I think it's fun to see a random dog where you wouldn't expect it. There's a few stores where I live that have "shop dogs" -- just nice dogs that hang out with their owners all day, greeting people. I'm pretty sure it isn't a matter for the Health Department. Wouldn't that be for a restaurant? I know of a couple restaurants in the area that allow their dog to roam around the bar, but the restaurant is off limits because of this.

Respected Contributor

It doesn't bother me AT ALL. In fact, I like it. I don't see what the problem is, unless you're allergic. I owned a retail store for many years, & in my opinion, dogs are cleaner & more well-behaved than a lot of people.

Respected Contributor
In California I see dogs in many inappropriate places. They are not required to have any service dog identification if the owners say they are service dogs. I have seen them at the farmers market (I no longer go there), in supermarkets in the cart where people put their food and at a Weight Watcher meeting where I could actually smell dog odor. Some restaurants allow dogs which should be posted for those of us who don't wish to dine next to dogs. Pets are not children and owners should confine their outings to dog parks and places where dogs are allowed. Please don't lie and make it harder for people who really do have to have a service dog.
Honored Contributor
On 1/23/2014 chessylady said: In California I see dogs in many inappropriate places. They are not required to have any service dog identification if the owners say they are service dogs. I have seen them at the farmers market (I no longer go there), in supermarkets in the cart where people put their food and at a Weight Watcher meeting where I could actually smell dog odor. Some restaurants allow dogs which should be posted for those of us who don't wish to dine next to dogs. Pets are not children and owners should confine their outings to dog parks and places where dogs are allowed. Please don't lie and make it harder for people who really do have to have a service dog.

Have you seen where parents put their children? They, too, sit in shopping carts where people put their food, and some stand in shopping carts. Many parents feel okay about setting the kids down on counters in stores and restaurants where food is placed. I'd relate a story about a little girl in line ahead of me at the grocery store recently but I won't since it's still early and someone might be trying to enjoy her breakfast.

Again, there are irresponsible pet owners and irresponsible parents. But I must say that I work in a hospital and I see too many families treat it like a playground. Children, like dogs, require training and discipline. A child should not be allowed to crawl on a hospital floor, damage donated art, or lick every surface where disease is rampant. Do I ever hear the word "no?"

No.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

How about Chaz? His dogs are always in his salon and on the Q's set when WEN is on

Honored Contributor
On 1/23/2014 MalteseMomma said:

How about Chaz? His dogs are always in his salon and on the Q's set when WEN is on

I addressed Chaz' salon in my earlier comment. As for his dogs being on the Q's set, some people (Q workers) might have a problem with it. There are several "sets", though, and I don't think I've ever seen a WEN show or spot done in the same set where they do food shows, if that matters to you.