Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@bebe777, good advice to @Oregon Cosmo. The only thing I would add is to let her know that this was a contentious subject that, IMO, is best left as is.

@suzyQ3, thanks so much for adding that information because I didn't realize that. Smiley Happy

When I opened the thread I immediately realized it was an old thread and just thought I'd flag it as an old thread before people starter replying to it. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Dogs and Hair Salons

[ Edited ]

@florey wrote:
The more I get to know people, the more I like my dog. Someone famous said that, or something like that. Anyone remember who it was?

I am an animal lover and do have dogs, feed cats(had all spayed/neutered) and while I love seeing them anyplace there are places I wouldn't take mine for their sake, wouldn't want to see them hurt or in a place that they could be in any danger(step on something sharp etc).

While we do treat ours as family and do mourn when the time comes we have to say goodbye I cherish the time we have together.

At one time we had 6 dogs but sadly down to 2 small ones now.

I can see everyone's opinion of this and do agree pets and kids have their own place and don't always belong everywhere

so, yes, both pets and kids should be well  behaved and not  all belone everywhere, same as some people I would imagine, lol.

edited to add, someone posted it was Mark Twain that said this and they are right

"The more I know about people, the better I like my dog." Mark Twain

I think Andy Rooney said if dogs don't go to heaven than I want to go where they go?

Respected Contributor

@Qvclina wrote:
On 1/23/2014 Lanikins said:
On 1/23/2014 florey said: The more I get to know people, the more I like my dog. Someone famous said that, or something like that. Anyone remember who it was?

"The more I know about people, the better I like my dog." Mark Twain

ITA

yes, you are right, was Mark Twain, thanks

Esteemed Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

In CA and many (most) stores have signs outside that only service dogs are allowed. Exception is pet stores where they encourage you to bring your dog in with you to shop.

This is true, but people bring their pets anyway and can just say they're a service dog and no more questions asked.  I was in a mall the other day and there was a large dog that was wolf looking...I know not a wolf, but that's the overall look of the dog.  The poor dog appeared to be extremely nervous and hesitant.  The girl with the dog was struggling to keep him in her control.  A security guard approached them and you could see on their faces they were expecting to be kicked out and instead the security guard put his hand out to the dog and the dog immediately backed away.   That was not a dog that should have been in a busy mall with tons of kids running around.  Disaster waiting to happen. 

Esteemed Contributor

@allaboutmakeup wrote:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}MOLLYTOO: Those of us who love our pets enjoy taking them with us where we can. Most dogs that are with their owners and taken in public are well behaved, well vetted, and great pets, If you do not like it go elsewhere. period. I have yet to get sick from anyone's pet, But its people like you who make me sick.

And that's the issue.  I am a paying customer in a store or restaurant that serves people.  Someone comes in with a dog (not service animal) and sits next to me.  I am allergic to it or my child is afraid of it, yet I am the one who needs to leave?  That's the problem with this whole issue.

I want to add I have never left when someone has a dog in a restaurant and am not allergic nor afraid...I am speaking hypothetically.  People who are allergic or afraid of dogs are forced to leave an establishment that's purpose is to serve people so someone can bring their dog.  Or stop going to their hairdresser that they like, a salon for people, so somebody can bring their pet.  If it is the owner's pet, that's another story. 

In our area we have many restaurants that are dog friendly but they have a seating area outside for the people with their dogs.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I go to a salon in SoCal, and the receptionist ALWAYS has her dog there. In fact, the owner often brings his as well.

The receptionist's dog is small and easy to almost trip over. Sometimes she is sitting or lying up on the counter where you pay or buy products. I like dogs, but I find this to be extremely unprofessional.

I don't quite get the comparison between children and dogs, other than I prefer a fairly quiet session and would not enjoy screaming babies. Fortunately, that's not been a problem.

Me either. One is human and one isn't. While some children may be out of control, they are still human.

By allowing dogs, you allow all dogs even the ones that appear clean who may not be and carrying fleas or disease. I love animals and I love my animals and usually everyone elses but I don't see how they could pass inspection by having animals in salons. 

It is ok to not take your dog EVERYWHERE with you. Most dogs would probably appreciate not being lugged into a hair salon where there are all kinds of chemicals in the air and the noise of hair dryers. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

I want to know what the insurance company insuring this salon has to say about this as well. Any type of incident involving this dog from bites to disease would put this insurance company on the hook. I can't imagine they have shared that with their insurance company because if they had, their rates would have gone up if they weren't cancelled altogether.

I realize many people love pets more than they love people but some of the answers here are shocking. Just because they are fine with it, everyone should be. They seem to miss the point of the difference between animals and humans. You can love and respect animals with all your heart, that doesn't change the fact that there is a difference.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't be bothered by a well behaved dog anywhere. I had much rather deal with people's pets than kids. The pets are usually better behaved.

Occasional Contributor

ita!! you took the words right out of my mouth.. unbelievable what I see when I go places these days.. Common courtesy/common sense does not exist.   what has happened??

Highlighted
Contributor

When my three children where small, I went to the salon only when my husband was home to care for them.  In those days, hair cuts for me weren't as important anyway, but I never brought them with me.  Today, some moms wouldn't dream of going without a cut or color whenever they want one.  

I used to get my nails done at a salon where the owner had her dog walking around.  Some of the clients would bring their dogs also.  I only went there a few times and found a new place.  It didn 't seem right to me.