Honored Contributor

Does wearing a mineral sunscreen mean

I can't wear primer or foundation?

I'm trying to be good about wearing sunscreen which I've neglected for some time. But I'd also like to wear some primer. How on Earth do I wear both?!

Honored Contributor

Re: Does wearing a mineral sunscreen mean

[ Edited ]

Sunscreen goes on last, on top of your primer but before applying makeup. The primer part just keeps your skin care stuff away from anything else you put on top of it. Some sunscreen products make good primers, too....that's what I do and skip the primer.

Esteemed Contributor

Posting - question - very confusing.  You can't wear either but you ask how to wear both. ?????

Honored Contributor

I use a primer with sunscreen in it. There are lots of them to choose from.

I use Hourglass Mineral Veil with SPF 15 primer over my skincare. And then apply makeup. And then use Colorscience Mineral Powder SPF 50 on top instead of finishing powder. Layering SPF is a good practice, plus it is easy to reapply the powder sunscreen during the day without taking off my makeup. I'm pale as a sheet and have never burned using this method.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Posting - question - very confusing.  You can't wear either but you ask how to wear both. ?????

Her first question is an extension of her topic title.

Does wearing a mineral sunscreen mean I can't wear primer or foundation?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would do anti aging, moisturizer, sunscreen to bond with your skin, primer to even out imperfections, then makeup.

Honored Contributor

I've been applying the sunscreen right after the serum but as it's a mineral that goes on white and you rub, and rub, it in, I can't imagine the primer under it would last and what's it going to look like over it? I do however put my highlighter and bronzer over it

What I gather from things I've read is that a separate sunscreen is always better protection then the primer with sunscreen in them

Trusted Contributor

Interesting question, @Andreatoo.  Maybe I've been doing this wrong for years?  I apply moisturizer with 15spf, then primer, then liquid or powder foundation.  I chose to use a moisturizer than has spf in it so I didn't have so many steps.

To make things even more confusing, I recently bought a makeup setting spray so I just started to try using that instead of primer.

Honored Contributor

Seriously check out the ColorScience website. They have all sorts of makeup products with sunscreen in them. Even an eye cream with SPF 35. Foundations, primers, concealers... And of course they also have regular sunscreen as well.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A separate sunscreen is always the best kind of protection. Usually foundations and primers which contain SPF are good but you have to apply so much of it that it makes a mess and feels terrible on the skin. Best to just apply a separate sunscreen then apply makeup lastly.

Don't neglect your neck and dec! Use sunscreen there, too.