Respected Contributor

Re: Does wearing a mineral sunscreen mean

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Porcelain 

I actually have some colorescience but I haven't opened it yet. It does make good sense to me since you brush it on and you're not completely eradicating what's underneath it. 

I'm confident the one I'm using is a good sunscreen as well but the idea that anything under it can last through all the rubbing in doesn't seem possible!

I think you're right. Really rubbing in any product will also mess up anything underneath. 

You shouldn't need to rub sunscreen that much. After a certain point, you'd be getting too thin of a layer. If it won't stop looking white unless you rub it all to heck, you might need a tinted version instead.

@Porcelain 

Will the mineral sunscreen dry clear if I give it a few minutes?

@Andreatoo I just started using Andrew Lessmans sunscreen. Only one I’ve ever been able to wear. Blends easily, not greasy (I’m very oily), no white cast, no breakouts, no strong scent. Its cheaper on his ProCaps website w/free shipping than HSN. Can’t recommend his enough. Best ingredients I’ve seen in a sunscreen to date. Try it!😉 

Frequent Contributor

Whatever you do, I preach this loud and long on my channel, it must be 1/2 teaspoon for your neck and face. You do 1/2 teaspoon of one product or if all you products are SPF  30 or higher you can look at them as a cumulatie total to reach 1/2 teaspoon. If you have a very small face you could get away with less, maybe a little over a 1/4 teaspoon. It's a pain but reapply every two hours. ColorScience has a loose mineral powder that is an all-in-one with a brush and IT Cosmetics has a pressed powder that is SPF 50. I believe elf also has a loose powder. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Porcelain 

I actually have some colorescience but I haven't opened it yet. It does make good sense to me since you brush it on and you're not completely eradicating what's underneath it. 

I'm confident the one I'm using is a good sunscreen as well but the idea that anything under it can last through all the rubbing in doesn't seem possible!

I think you're right. Really rubbing in any product will also mess up anything underneath. 

You shouldn't need to rub sunscreen that much. After a certain point, you'd be getting too thin of a layer. If it won't stop looking white unless you rub it all to heck, you might need a tinted version instead.

@Porcelain 

Will the mineral sunscreen dry clear if I give it a few minutes?

Not really. Mineral sunscreen is white, or it is nanoized to the point where it gets semi transparent. Titanium Dioxide, the main mineral sunscreen, is also used in makeup as an opague white pigment. So it's just white colored. It needs to be made extremely small or combined with other color pigments to avoid painting you like an old school lifeguard's nose.

Now my Hourglass Mineral Veil SPF 15 dries fairly clear on me, but as I keep saying, I'm pale. On a deep skintone, I'd bet it might have a slight cast to it. But since it is a primer, I think anyone could use it with makeup on top. It's not a stark chalk color or anything.

My SPF 50 ColorScience powder sunscreen has more titanium dioxide and zinc in it, but it is blended with skin tone tints to make a colored translucent powder. They have different skintones available so lots of different people can use it. You won't find a truly transparent mineral sunscreen, though. (Except for possibly a nanoized version, which is less common because some are concerned about the tiny particle size.)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr