Respected Contributor

Re: Does every female host actually use what they say they do?

I have no idea what the host use. It really does not matter. Everyone should do what works for their needs, lifestyle, and budget.

If they do use what they are selling it means nothing. They are being paid to sell it.

Honored Contributor

I don't watch the Q that much anymore but I know what you mean. The bottom line is all that matters so the hosts will say anything. You have to learn to ignore it, shut it off or change the channel. If you are interested in a product, check out the reviews or come to the beauty board.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I'm convinced that one day, Shannon from HSN is going to show up on an episode of Hoarders.
Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2014 Desertdi said:

I love how they say, "THIS isn't for everybody"..........to make you think YOU are the special one for whom it is a perfect choice.........

I appreciate that because it's usually me it's not for and I'm glad they know it.

Honored Contributor

I don't know how often you're hearing it, but I've not heard most of this for multiples of the SAME types of products from each host. I'm sure they've all tried almost every beauty product as a part of their job, which qualifies them to say "I've used this and I like it" or not. Lisa says she can't live without Hydroshield and I've not heard her say that about other serums, even if she says she likes them. She loves that Perricone glutathion eye stuff I can't imagine spending the money for and I've not heard her talk the same way about other eye things, even if she says she's used them and likes them. She uses Bare Minerals foundation and I've not heard her rave about any other foundation the same way she talks about Bare Minerals foundation - same with their tanner. She talks about how others, like St Tropez, feel or look and says OTHER people rave about them (magazines, reviews, celebrities, etc), but I haven't heard her give those other products the same "can't live without it" endorsement as she does the Bare Minerals one she says she's been using for years.

Honored Contributor

I am sure they try most of the things, just so they can give commentary on things like consistency, scent, application ease, how it feels on, etc when they present it but of course they don't use all of it on a daily basis nearly as much as they often claim. It would be an insane amount of products if they did.

Now makeup it is possible that they do use as much as they say because just reading the forums, you can see many people use, say, several brands of mascara, have tons of palettes, tons of nailpolish, etc.

I have heard Shawn say she uses pretty much every type of shampoo/conditioner she presents (WEN, Ojon, Philsophy, Alterna, etc) which is doable- many people have several types of shampoo and conditioner in their showers. I've heard her say Mally's powder foundation is her favorite but also IT cosmetics powder foundation is her favorite. She does the same with mascara- mally's is her favorite then when IT is on, hers is her favorite, etc..

The thing is, I don't care if they say they use all of these because that is typical to have more than one of say, foundation or mascara, but to say every time a product is on that it is their Favorite is a little disingenuous, however, they are there to sell sell sell so what do you expect?

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2014 HappyDaze said:

I am sure they try most of the things, just so they can give commentary on things like consistency, scent, application ease, how it feels on, etc when they present it but of course they don't use all of it on a daily basis nearly as much as they often claim. It would be an insane amount of products if they did.

Now makeup it is possible that they do use as much as they say because just reading the forums, you can see many people use, say, several brands of mascara, have tons of palettes, tons of nailpolish, etc.

I have heard Shawn say she uses pretty much every type of shampoo/conditioner she presents (WEN, Ojon, Philsophy, Alterna, etc) which is doable- many people have several types of shampoo and conditioner in their showers. I've heard her say Mally's powder foundation is her favorite but also IT cosmetics powder foundation is her favorite. She does the same with mascara- mally's is her favorite then when IT is on, hers is her favorite, etc..

The thing is, I don't care if they say they use all of these because that is typical to have more than one of say, foundation or mascara, but to say every time a product is on that it is their Favorite is a little disingenuous, however, they are there to sell sell sell so what do you expect?

I agree that saying EVERY item is a favorite is disingenuous. I'll give them a little leeway on a few, though. I have several similar items that are favorites under different circumstances, like seasons for foundations and moisturizers. What works for me in the winter doesn't necessarily work for me in the summer. But I always include that information when I'm talking to others about the product because I like to give honest reviews and because it's not my job to sell products.

Esteemed Contributor

With make up, I've noticed sometimes the host will try on a lipstick, gloss or something or other. Not all the time, just sometimes. I've figured when the host tries on something, she wants that particular freebie.

Super Contributor

When it comes to beauty products, I don't believe them. It would be impossible to use all those products.

Honored Contributor

I believe everything they say. And may lightning strike me if I'm ly