Honored Contributor

Re: Does anything make a difference?

For me I think the one single most effective product that I have used is Retin-A. It does so many things for my skin to make it feel and look younger. This again takes time to see results and consistency is key.

Respected Contributor

IMHO, aside from surgery, fillers. preventing sun damage and genetics, have very little effect on agingj skin. Perhaps we should celebrate the fact that we are getting older and cherish the experience and wisdom we have attained.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@reiki604 wrote:

IMHO, aside from surgery, fillers. preventing sun damage and genetics, have very little effect on agingj skin. Perhaps we should celebrate the fact that we are getting older and cherish the experience and wisdom we have attained.

I can totally understand and appreciate celebrating getting older. However, I do not agree that preventing sun damage has little effect on aging skin. Sun damage equates to aging skin. Genetics do play a part as well. At least this is what I learned in school anyway.Woman Happy

Super Contributor

Easy answer.. Just use Paulas CHoice and for your skin type and make sure you use the 1% retinol and Vit C in morning and Resist line. I have seen a tremendous difference in my skin and at late 50's have beautiful skin and no wrinkles. Make sure you start off slow with the Retinol and build up to everyother day or every day and use with oil or moisturizer or serum if you are senstive. 

Honored Contributor

Gold Bond's neck cream, maybe $10 a tube, seems to have helped.

Esteemed Contributor

Good genes make a difference.
Loving, supportive, safe, secure childhood makes a difference.
Things that work from the inside out, like good food, sufficient sleep, aerobic exercise, and well developed coping skills makes a difference.
But tubs and pots of the latest potions, dabbed and smeared to the surface is of limited lasting value.

The only exception is SPF. This I saw with my own eyes.
I had a patient who was described by his Dr as, "the biggest collection of birth defects I've ever seen together in one place".
Due to his condition, the patient had lived his 60+ years without direct exposure to sunlight. Ever. EVER.
His skin was the skin of a two year old. Smooth, soft, tight, and completely un-lined.
Honored Contributor

Botox and fillers are not something I can or will be able to do so topical products that work are crucial. Genetics play a role and I wear spf 50 every day no matter what.

So far, so good. I try many products but I'm ALWAYS using products that offer specific benefits even though it may be a different brand every few days (samples).

Esteemed Contributor

No,I don't think cremes and serums make much difference.  Keeping skin moisturized helps. Staying out of the sun,all things we all know.  I dont believe all the hype about any product. And I'm not letting anyone near my face with a scalpel.  I'll live with the face in the mirror.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

I gave up on expensive skincare products.  Saving my hard-earned retirement money.  It is what it is.....

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

I can totally understand and appreciate celebrating getting older. However, I do not agree that preventing sun damage has little effect on aging skin. Sun damage equates to aging skin. Genetics do play a part as well. At least this is what I learned in school anyway.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee, I think that you may have misunderstood @reiki604's post. I had to read it a couple time to figure out what she meant (no offense meant...:-))

I'm pretty sure that she meant that aside from surgery, fillers, preventing sun damage, and genetics, there is little else that will have an effect on aging skin.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland