Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone use Vanicream products?

[ Edited ]

I recently visited a dermatolgist for irritated eyelids.  She said it was eczema, which was a first for me.  They were red, itchy and had some burning in the creases.

I've never had it anywhere else, and she could not really pinpoint a cause.  It really surprised me as I rarely have any issues with my skin...no breakouts, no sensitivities to the products I've tried.

In addition to hydrocortisone cream, she gave me some samples of Vanicream cleanser and moisturizing lotion.

I've used Paula's Choice cleanser for years and Isomers products, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Vanicream line.

I may just get a few items and go back to my Isomers when my eyes clear.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone use Vanicream products?

@Witchy Woman Yes, I've used the hydrocortizone cream but just for a place on my leg that sometimes gets itchy -- not for anything like what you're describing.  It works for that.  I've been using their deoderant for quite a while.  And I have the moisturizer.  Haven't used it yet as I'm finishing what I have.  

This is interesting.  Are you saying it's okay to put the hydrocortisone cream on your eyelids?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Synalar RX cream for my eczema that I get inside my ears. It says on the label, not for use in the eye area. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tadaki 

@Shelbelle 

Yes, the cream is to be put on my eyelids twice a day for a week, then once a day. It's not Synalar, however, so I assume it is something appropriate for use near the eyes.

I've been using cotton swabs to do it so I'm careful.

I didn't quesion her since she is a dermatologist and I've been to her before.

So far, it seems to be working well.

I may try some of the Vanicream moisturizer.  My issue with so many of the Isomers products is they remain sticky on my skin.  

I do like the little samples she gave me.

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman - I've used Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser for years. Great for dry skin. Removes makeup, too. 

Valued Contributor

I suddenly developed allergic reaction to deodorant a year ago which sent me to dermatologist. My underarms were terribly painful from an itchy rash, prescription strength hydrocortisone cleared up. I can only use Vanicream deodorant, no allergy. I was so fortunate for this to occur because Dermatologist spotted a growth on my upper back which ended up being stage 2 melanoma.
Respected Contributor

I’ve had my eyelids get like that a few times in the past and I used a bit of an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream which has always cleared it up.  And it seems that what causes this occasional eyelid irritation for me is a product that I might be using on my face even though I don’t use it anywhere near my eyes. When I stop the offending product on my face my eyelids no longer get irritated. 

Trusted Contributor

@HB glamma wrote:
I suddenly developed allergic reaction to deodorant a year ago which sent me to dermatologist. My underarms were terribly painful from an itchy rash, prescription strength hydrocortisone cleared up. I can only use Vanicream deodorant, no allergy. I was so fortunate for this to occur because Dermatologist spotted a growth on my upper back which ended up being stage 2 melanoma.

@HB glamma I also developed an itchy rash under my arms, although it wasn't painful.  Just annoying.  That's why I started looking for an alternative and found the Vanicream.

Super Contributor

I have used vanicream since 1982 when I was hospitalized as a derm patient at Mayo. It was formulated by Rochester Pharmaceuticals.  It is excellent.

I have used it to remove make up and moisturize.

Bathe/shower in warm water, not hot. Blot water off, do not rub. Apply vanicream lightly. Let it absorb into the skin.

It is water based and has never stained any of my clothes. If using on the rest of the body, apply in the direction the hair grows, not against it. Do not rub it ln.  It will take a few minutes to absorb.

It is fantastic.  You will like it.  For years after I moved East, I had to send to MN to get it.  I can now get it at Walgreens in my area.

You won't be sorry.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I found I started breaking out with deordant......it turned out to be only the "invisible solids"

Thanks for the recommendation for the Varicream!