Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone own the Artis brushes or dupes?

@wvumountiefan wrote:

If so what are your thoughts? What do you like or dislike about them? TIA

thought the demo was a bit hoky 

Respected Contributor

I have the Artis brushes, the largest and a smaller one I use for blush.

I REALLY hate to say I LOVE them!!  I was hoping I would be unimpressed and return it, but I was instantly and love; and bought a second.

I have yet to find a dupe that compares.

The finish it creates is only second to airbrushing.  (I did send that back, too messy)

Valued Contributor

I purchased a set of Artis brushes when QVC had them a few years back but I returned the set because several in the set were useless to me.  I didn't like the small oval ones and the linear brushes didn't work for me.  I then purchased a Cailyn O Wow brush and it is just okay, nothing special.  

When Artis came out with the Oval 7, I went ahead and bought it and it is my favorite brush.  All types of foundation go on so smoothly and foundations that I thought were so-so are now amongst my favorites due to this brush.  I use it only for foundation but it also applies blush really nicely.  If you're able to splurge, I think it's worth it.  I'm now using up foundations that I was going to toss out because of the oval 7 brush.  Love it!

Valued Contributor

I love my oval 7 brush. I use it for liquid and pressed foundations and the results are flawless. I tried a dupe shadow brush and there is no comparison. I wouldn't bother with the dupes. Decide which one you want and try the real thing. You will waste your money trying to save on dupes. 

Respected Contributor

Good to read the positive reviews here.  I got the 2-fer of the big oval one (don't knopw what number it is) offered tonight on the southern channel.  Eager to see the results.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bought a few dupes and really wasn't that impressed. Decided to invest in the real Artis brushes and they are basically the only thing I use now, except for a few IT brushes. The key to using them is don't take them off of the face when laying down foundation. Keep in continuous motion, it lays down flawlessly even powder foundations. It takes less foundation because the foundation doesn't sink into the brush. Works well with eyeshadow because the pigment stays on the brush without sinking in. It does take some getting used to in how to use the brushes but once you have it down, everything lays down highly pigmented and smooth.  The real ones are better than any of the dupes I bought and noticeably different especially how they clean. Had a big problem with the dupes bristles sticking together and impossible to separate.  Bristles just clumped together. The actual Artis brushes never had this problem. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a full Artis set, and the cailyn o wow, and and a few cheapies purchased at TJs. IMO the Artis brushes are the best, the cheapies from TJs went to the garbage bin, they were so scratchy. The o wow is ok, but I prefer the Artis. there is a difference in how soft they are, and the Artis brushes really do retain less product than any other brushes. When I've to do a deep cleaning, they cleaned up easily and all but the 8 and 10 dried overnight, which is something given the density of the brushes. There is a learning curve, but once you get the hang of them, makeup application is faster, far more even, and impeccably blended. the oval 6 is a workhorse, I can use that for large sweeps of eyeshadow, foundation, blush, bronzer, it's probably the most versitile in the collection. I do "choke up" on the oval 8 and 10 because I'm afraid of snapping the brush, I could probably be more gentle when applying makeup! However the bit of flexibility does help the brush hug the face. I have a "brush problem" and have lots of it and trish mcevoy brushes, plus a handmade set from Japan, but I use Artis almost every day. I just wish they traveled better.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't seen Artis brushes but there have been plenty of knockoff dupes at Winners and Marshall's, especially before Christmas. They are OK but as others have said, some of the handle necks feel flimsy like they could be eqsily broken. They are OK to blend liquid foundation like a CC cream. I didn't think that they were better than other brushes for anything else.

Occasional Contributor

I have a good quality dupe and I love it.  It's a very dense and soft brush.  I use mine for mineral foundation and the coverage is as good or better than other brushes.  I will definitely buy more.

Valued Contributor

The Caitlin wow is good.The Artis brushes are the best for applying foundations or powders.My favorite is the new palm oval one because I have more control.I need to learn to use Artis eyeshadow brushes though.

I wish I never got the first 2 sets from Qvc.I should have waited until they were sold at a better value on the other channel.