Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know how to thin a cream eyeshadow?

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know what I can put in a cream eyeshadow that is too thick to go on smoothly?  I bought this Laura Mercier cream shadow from the Bay and it is too thick to use. The seller does not offer refunds or exchanges so just looking for help to thin it.

Thanks everyone.

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone know how to thin a cream eyeshadow?

I would assume it is old and has thickened from air getting to it. I wouldn't use it on my eyes and risk infection. I've never heard of a way to thin it out & most cream shadows warn to keep lid on tightly. I would toss it. Sorry. 😢

Honored Contributor

@Bowwowluv wrote:

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know what I can put in a cream eyeshadow that is too thick to go on smoothly?  I bought this Laura Mercier cream shadow from the Bay and it is too thick to use. The seller does not offer refunds or exchanges so just looking for help to thin it.

Thanks everyone.

@Bowwowluv - Prior to the eBay purchase, have you used this product before?  Is it possible the seller sold you an old dried out product?  If he/she did, you do have some recourse.  You can file a claim with eBay to get your money back.  You will be required to return the product and provide tracking information, but they will charge that to the seller and refund the shipping to you as well.

If this is your first experience with the LM cream eyeshadow, it's a lesson learned. Is it in a pot or is it a stick?  You might try warming a tiny bit up between two fingers before application.  Maybe a tiny bit of oil or moisturizer on your finger would help too or a creamy lid primer might help make the application go on easier.  Another suggestion, if it's in a pot, is to use a toothpick or orange stick and chop through it to break it up, then add a tiny drop of a good oil (argan maybe), and mix it until smooth and pat down in the pot.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you jeanlouisefinch for your helpful suggestions.  Yes, this is my first experience with Laura Mercier eyeshadow. It not in a pot, so I will try the argan oil, hopefully that solves the issue.