Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone in their 60s and up wear loose mineral foundation

I tried Bare Minerals years ago, but didn't like how it looked. I'm using Garnier BB cream 5 in 1 Perfector instead of foundation. The BB cream hydrates, evens out my skin tone, conceals and provides protection all at the same time. The coverage is sheer, but just enough. I don't care about heavy makeup for myself, and this works. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

My 82 year old mother wears loose mineral makeup.  It looks good on her.  She wears the Ulta brand mineral makeup.  She was 79 in this picture.  She's been wearing this makeup for several years.

She is just beautiful.  I hope you got her genes.  I may go buy some of that makeup.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I qualify.  I started with Bare Minerals one year after Leslie Blodgett came to QVC.  I'm a slow adopter, But I've never looked back. I use a lighter shade as a concealer and Glee as blush.  When I do try a liquid foundation sample for the heck of it I just feel like my face is dirty.  Please don't take offense. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I qualify.  I started with Bare Minerals one year after Leslie Blodgett came to QVC.  I'm a slow adopter, But I've never looked back. I use a lighter shade as a concealer and Glee as blush.  When I do try a liquid foundation sample for the heck of it I just feel like my face is dirty.  Please don't take offense. 

None taken ☺️ I asked for input and yours is appreciated

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@Thats Me wrote:

I'm 66 and I like Kim Gravel's Easy Peasy foundation. It's a loose mineral powder. Reviews are often good for the product, often bad for the application, but I totally love both! Some have compared it to a Philosophy foundation long ago discontinued. I used that product and just loved it, so when I saw the comparison to Kim Gravel's I tried it  and have not looked back.

@Thats Me . Yes, I remember that Philosophy foundation. It was fabulous! Great coverage and you needed very little, if I remember correctly it was in a similar container as Kim Gravel's.....I may have to give Kim's a try in the future then!

Honored Contributor

I only use the bisque as a concealer. Never as an overall powder.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@fairydogmother    I don't know how any women over 50 can wear mineral makeup.  It makes you look older.  Rather a lightweight liquid or cream would be best.  there are so many to choose from with light to full coverage.  You have to catch sales when 20 to 25% is given off.   I wear Bobbi Brown.  Look at Nordstrom as shpg is free and there is a large selection.

@Katcat1  You just can't generalize like that. I am 66, and my skin is still very oily. Mineral makeup works very well for me, and never looks dry. I also use Laura Geller Balance & Brighten foundation, and love it. Both types of makeup just meld beautifully with my skin, and never, ever, settle in fine lines. I never need to "touch up" either, just blot my nose mid-day.

Liquid or cream, however, no matter how "lightweight" leaves me an oily mess by mid-day...even if it's an oil-free formula.

No one type of makeup works for everyone, regardless of age. I think it depends more on skin type.

Honored Contributor

@vermint    I did not realize that the mineral makeup would be good for oily skin.  I have normal skin and ithe makeup looked horrible on me.  Thanks for the heads up.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

@monicakm wrote:

My 82 year old mother wears loose mineral makeup.  It looks good on her.  She wears the Ulta brand mineral makeup.  She was 79 in this picture.  She's been wearing this makeup for several years.

She is just beautiful.  I hope you got her genes.  I may go buy some of that makeup.

@monicakm 

What a loving picture!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I wore Bare Minerals for years and still have quite a few jars of product that probably need to be tossed. They are unopen, but have had for years. These days I only use the bisque as a spot cover. I did find w/ BM if a dampened my hands and pressed the powdered area of my face a bit, it took away the cakey look. I've been on the search for several years to find the right mix of light coverage w/o appearing overly "made up".

I do not find that tinted moisterizers give me a finished look ... but for day to day they are okay. This morning I purchased a Loreal BB cream that has some promise for a light finish. I'm giving it a few days to see if I get an adverse reaction. Having senstive skin is such a pain in the tush.

Good luck on your search. Lots of good options on this thread. I think if the Loreal BB cream doesn't irritate my skin, I may try the cream powder foundation mentioned. The PUR also looked like a nice option.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."