Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone in their 60s and up wear loose mineral foundation

I like Jane Iredale Purepressed Base Mineral Foundation.  It goes on easily with fingers or brush.  Non-drying, but I usually use her hydrating spray after applying and it gives a lovely, dewy finish.  Love her products and they are gentle and cruelty-free.  Nordstrom carries this line.  I found out about it from a friend whose derm recommended it to her.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus  @fairydogmother  I still wear BM original. I have normal skin & what makes a difference for me is wearing a silicone primer. I buff it well with the soft white newer brush from BM (can recall the name right now)

It is not drying on me but I only use one application. It does have a slight glow & by buffing well but lightly & then takes on a look of a light cream foundation. Its great for the warmer months & does not settle into fine lines on me. (63) I think its good for 2 applications as far as building it up for a light to med. coverage. It is my HG powder foundation.

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:
I'm 67 and use Bare Minerals original foundation. I don't use very much and it always looks natural. I have dry skin and I still look soft and dewy. I also live in a very dry state. Lucky to have 10% humidity unless it's monsoon season. I believe less is more with any foundation.

@brandiwine 

Sounds like New Mexico! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

Update: I went to Ulta and sample numerous foundations. The Pur looked so dry on me. For reference, I have never had oily skin, even in adolescence. I've always had a very nice complexion (thanks mom and dad) 😁 smooth, blemish free normal skin into my fifties when it started getting dry. Now at seventy it's is very very dry. With a few issues that I would expect at my age- age spots etc., some wrinkles especially around my eyes. (Greatly improved with Clinique laser focus eye cream I might add). 
So. The Pur was a no go. Bare Minerals also looked matte and dry. I ended up with Lancôme Skin Feels Good tinted moisturizer. Found the perfect shade. Very hydrating. Evens out my skin tone just enough. 

@fairydogmother 

I'm wondering if it's not the makeup but what you're putting under it.  Sometimes using a particular moisturiser, sunscreen or serum could cause the foundation to look dry. 

Honored Contributor

I've been using Suzanne Organics loose mineral powder for about 6 years and love it.  It only comes in one shade, which is a little darker, but after I apply my sunscreen (Mad Hippie), it balances it out.

Bare Minerals made me itch and also gave me a silver-y sheen.

Barely 60 here.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

Update: I went to Ulta and sample numerous foundations. The Pur looked so dry on me. For reference, I have never had oily skin, even in adolescence. I've always had a very nice complexion (thanks mom and dad) 😁 smooth, blemish free normal skin into my fifties when it started getting dry. Now at seventy it's is very very dry. With a few issues that I would expect at my age- age spots etc., some wrinkles especially around my eyes. (Greatly improved with Clinique laser focus eye cream I might add). 
So. The Pur was a no go. Bare Minerals also looked matte and dry. I ended up with Lancôme Skin Feels Good tinted moisturizer. Found the perfect shade. Very hydrating. Evens out my skin tone just enough. 

@fairydogmother 

I'm wondering if it's not the makeup but what you're putting under it.  Sometimes using a particular moisturiser, sunscreen or serum could cause the foundation to look dry. 

Hmm had t thought of that. It's worth looking into. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@Thats Me wrote:

I'm 66 and I like Kim Gravel's Easy Peasy foundation. It's a loose mineral powder. Reviews are often good for the product, often bad for the application, but I totally love both! Some have compared it to a Philosophy foundation long ago discontinued. I used that product and just loved it, so when I saw the comparison to Kim Gravel's I tried it  and have not looked back.

@Thats Me  -  I loved the discontinued Philosophy foudation.  I was thinking about trying Kim's but hesitated because of the poor reviews on the container.  Glad you posted about it.  I may try it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  -  Where do you purchase your PUR?

Esteemed Contributor

I tried PUR mineral foundation and really dislike it on my skin. I am not dry, but I felt it made me look "cakey".

Our likes/dislikes are so varied. I believe a lot of it depends on the finish we feel best in. Just because a foundation has some skincare benefits, we might not feel we are putting our best foot forward with skin that might read too dry, too dewey, too satiny, etc.

I am currently using Evan Healy serum foundation because it is so lightweight yet gives me the coverage I want during the hot, humid summer months. 

Respected Contributor

I've worn mineral foundation for decades and am past my 60s. It works best for me, when I use liquid foundation, it feels waxy. I use very little and buff, buff, buff. I've not noticed it looking dry on my face, but you never know. No matter how many mirrors you look at, the skin looks different in different lights. It's the only makeup that doesn't settle into my wrinkles.