Honored Contributor

@Stenn wrote:
I just watched the Josie Maran segment featuring a cream in a pot that can be used almost anywhere. The company demo person on zoom dabbed it around her eyes, then dipped her finger back to the pot for more and rubbed it on her lips. I absolutely cringe when I saw that, imo products should never be shared between mouth and eye areas. Anyone else feel that way or is it just me.

I only worry about this sort of thing if I have a cold or a problem like a cold sore or an eye infection. Then I use precautions like you've mentioned here.

The products I buy have preservatives in them to kill any incidental germs. And day to day my hands are already clean from washing my face when I go to put on moisturizer.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Nope, I don't cringe because I don't let things like that bother me. I'm 73 and have been doing the so-called "dip" for many years with some of my daily moisturizers. I'm happy to say that I have had no problems from dipping my fingers into my skin care products.

Super Contributor

Genius Jlkz! Thank you, never knew that kind of product existed. I have products I love but won't buy anymore because of the jars (especially to go on face/eye area.) I'm off on a hunt to find these, thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else cringe

[ Edited ]

When my oldest child was about 15 months, he was still taking a bottle.  That's what normal people did with their children back then.  I was at my mother's and he became very ill.  I had to see a pediatrician about 50 miles from my mom's as she had, by that time, moved to the lake.  The doctor asked me if he was still bottling and I told him yes.  He did not scold me but I knew he should be coming off the bottle soon but Dad had just left for Vietnam and I did not want him giving up everything all at once.  He never scolded me until he asked what I was feeding him.  I told him homogenized/pasteurized vitamin D milk that I boiled for 5 minutes, cooled down on the stove for 5 minutes and sterilized his bottles for 5 minutes and nipples in a jar with holes in the same sterilizer for 15 minutes.  He hit the ceiling.  I thought he was going to tell me that was not quite long enough to which I would probably feel a pang of guilt, but no... he said "Da*n, woman, you have sterilized his guts.  Give this baby a bottle of cold milk from the refrigerator and let him grow some healthy bacteria in his gut and put him in the floor and let him eat some dirt from the rug where you walk and from the flower pots."

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I am a licensed cosmetologist.  The first thing you learn is that fingers never go into a jar of anything that you put on  your skin.  You should use a clean spatula and put the product on the back of your hand and use it from there.

I do a lot of cringing when I see people dip their fingers into the pot of product.  Their jar of product becomes a Petri dish for bacteria.  

Buying product sold in a tube is much more hygienic.

@Carmie   So agree with you on this. I always use a spatula...even a clean q tip, but fingers...never!

Respected Contributor

No I don't cringe. I do it all the time and no harmful effect.  If you have acne, sensitive or infection-prone skin, I can see using those precautions. But I never have a problem using my fingers in products. 

Trusted Contributor

I really can't believe all the replies saying as long as just one person dips in the jar, it is okay. 

Um, no, it is not. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone else cringe

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday -- I chuckled when I read your post.  When my son was an infant, I went to the daily effort to boil bottles and rubber nipples.  His doctor pointed out that all my careful sterilization might be causing my son's colic.  Doc told me to just wash the bottles in the sink with soap and water - Let the kid have a little bacteria!  If you were nursing, you wouldn't boil your chest! 

It worked.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@Nonametoday -- I chuckled when I read your post.  When my son was an infant, I went to the daily effort to boil bottles and rubber nipples.  His doctor pointed out all that all my careful sterilization might be causing my son's colic.  Doc told me to just wash the bottles in the sink with soap and water - Let the kid have a little bacteria!  If you were nursing, you wouldn't boil your chest! 

It worked.

@tototwo 

That's what my baby had:  really bad colic and had developed nausea/vomiting and diarrhea (likely due to the stress of the colic) and as you say, colic from all this boiling, the double, double toil and trouble.

Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

Yes I do!  When I see them standing there dipping and stirring and slathering it all over then dipping again I think.....

Double_Double_Toil+Trouble

YUCK. I wonder if they throw out all those demo jars of goop because of contamination by hands. Way too many fingers in the pot for me (even if just my own).

Lol!