Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone brush their teeth with charcoal powder?

[ Edited ]

Interesting information @SilleeMee.  I was about to look it up.  For those who think there's a lot of difference in whiteners, it would be in the percentage of active ingredient, like you said, hydrogen peroxide or a derivative of.  The higher the percentage, the more likely to sensitivity- purely common sense.

What I find a boring read may be of interest to someone else:

Statement on the Safety and Effectiveness of Tooth Whitening Products

For the last two decades, the ADA Council on Scientific Affairs has monitored the development and the increasing numbers of tooth whitening products. As the market for these products grew, the Association recognized a need for uniform definitions when discussing whiteners.

For example, "whitening" is any process that will make teeth appear whiter. This can be achieved in two ways. A product can bleach the tooth, which means that it actually changes the natural tooth color. Bleaching products contain peroxide(s) that help remove deep (intrinsic) and surface (extrinsic) stains. By contrast, non-bleaching whitening products contain agents that work by physical or chemical action to help remove surface stains only.

Whitening products may be administered by dentists in the dental office, dispensed by dentists for home-use, or purchased over-the-counter (OTC), and can be categorized into two major groups:

• Peroxide-containing bleaching agents; and
  • Whitening toothpastes (dentifrices)

Peroxide-containing bleaching agents

Carbamide peroxide, used in many bleaching products, breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and urea, with hydrogen peroxide being the active bleaching agent. A bleaching product containing 10 percent carbamide peroxide yields approximately 3.5 percent hydrogen peroxide. The most commonly observed side effects with these peroxide-based bleaching agents are tooth sensitivity and occasional irritation of soft tissues in the mouth (oral mucosa), particularly the gums. Tooth sensitivity often occurs during early stages of bleaching treatment. Tissue irritation may result from an ill-fitting tray used to contain bleaching product. Both tooth sensitivity and tissue irritation are usually temporary and stop after the treatment. On rare occasions, irreversible tooth damage has been reported. Patients should be cautioned that not enough information is available to support unsupervised long-term and/or repeated use of bleaching products.

Valued Contributor

@Valstybaby

I just tried the toothpaste My Magic Mud last week and my mouth felt super clean  for days. After the third time using it, I felt like it was too abrasive for my gums. It seems like it was making spaces between my teeth, if that makes sense.   You can try it lightly and maybe use just once a week if you were really curious. I tried the clove flavor but have since stopped using it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I\ve tried charcoal toothpaste and didn't like it with an electric toothbrush. The blackish gray toothpaste is messy and I didn't see any difference at all. I also did not like the taste of it either.

Occasional Contributor

I use My Magic Mud (charcoal based) and MCT The Dirt (bentonite clay based). I get them at Vitamin Shoppe. I use them both, alternating in no particular way. I prefer the MCT The Dirt much better, and I have noticed considerable whiteness and overall brighter teeth. My dentist said they were both fine to use and actually better than strips since the results are temporary and cause sensitivities in many people (I happen to be one of them). Both of these come in either powder form or a conventional paste. I prefer the paste in both. And yes, they are messy and make your teeth look black or brown when you brush, but when you rinse it's all gone and teeth are left clean and gleaming!!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm not going with a product that just does not make any rational sense.  Coffee stains my teeth, but I'm not giving up coffee.  But why mess with something that may stain them even worse? 

Honored Contributor

I use neem oil toothpaste and mouthwash.I have had less problems with gum disease and plaque doesn't build up on my teeth as much as in the past.My hygienist noticed a big improvement and asked me what I was doing differently.