Respected Contributor

Does anyone brush their teeth with charcoal powder?

Want to try but afraid my teeth will turn black.  Does anyone use this and does it really whiten teeth?

Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone brush their teeth with charcoal powder?

@Valstybaby

I tried a paste that had charcoal in it and it was black and messy but I was trying to whiten my teeth so I put up with the mess. At my next dentist appointment, I asked him about it and he said it's very abrasive so it could wear down your enamel and make your teeth more sensitive.  Since I already have sensitive teeth, I stopped using it.  HTH

Honored Contributor

I use a charcoal toothbrush and really like it..got it on amazon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I bought a small bag of pure charcoal powder and used it for about two weeks. Not only did it make a mess in my sink, it did not make my teeth any whiter. I ended up using the rest of the charcoal powder in my facial masks.

I recommend Intelliwhite pens. They work!

Super Contributor

I used both the powder and the tootbrush.  The powder may have whitened somewhat but defintiely not worth the mess.  I never noticed any difference using the toothbrush.. Best results from consistent use of whitening toothpaste.  I also like whitening strips..but haven't used them  in a long time.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, I use cheap charcoal capsules from the vitamin isle. I open the capsules and put in a container to store. I use an old pill bottle. I use an old toothbrush because it will darken the brush. First I brush my teeth normally. Then I wet the brush, apply a small amount of toothpaste on brush so the powder will adhere to it. Then I brush for a minimum of 2 minutes. When you spit, the charcoal will be in your sink so you will have to rinse the sink. Just like using a black mud mask, it will put black splatter in the sink. Use it no more than twice a week. I use a tongue scrapper when finished, and such a cheap natural way to whiten teeth. I see the difference in the shine and whiteness of my teeth. I have no gum irritation with this as opposed to topicals or trays. They work for me too but this method is way cheaper and less irritating.   You do not need to use pressure as the powder itself does the work.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes, I bought a small bag of pure charcoal powder and used it for about two weeks. Not only did it make a mess in my sink, it did not make my teeth any whiter. I ended up using the rest of the charcoal powder in my facial masks.

I’ve also heard brushing with turmeric will whiten.

But...there are too many people debunking all these whitening

tactics...who are not sponsored by anything. I think there’s a

placebo effect w/ any of these procedures (including oil pulling).

If they do whiten...it takes a looong period of time for the effects

to kick in.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I’ve also heard brushing with turmeric will whiten.

But...there are too many people debunking all these whitening

tactics...who are not sponsored by anything. I think there’s a

placebo effect w/ any of these procedures (including oil pulling).

If they do whiten...it takes a looong period of time for the effects

to kick in.  

@SilleeMee, @sidsmom-

The use of charcoal powder for tooth whitening is all new to me.  What would be the active ingredient that could whiten?  An interesting concept. 

As far as turmeric, the wonderful spice, I'd think it would do just the opposite and stain teeth as it's very dark yellow.. almost orange in color.  I take a highly bioavailable form of Curcumin-a ramped up turmeric for excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.  Doctors are becoming well aware of its exceptional properties.  Because it's difficult for the body to absorb it must contain black pepper fruit extract, also listed as Piper nigrum for true bioavailabity.   The spice itself has very little benefit compared to Curcumin, but do like the taste. 

I'm so OT, haha

I use Supersmile's accelerator, leaving it on for 10 minutes before brushing with my own fave toothpaste.  It maintains a nice white smile w/ the active ingredient being plain old hydrogen peroxide.  I'll double check that and edit if there are other beneficial ingredients which would have the ability to safely whiten-as there are only a few that can and do whiten without compromising tooth enamel. 

Just an FYI - all dental quality whiteners should be kept refrigerated when not in use to increase the longevity of active whitening ingredients.  People with sensitivity usually tolerate Supersmile's accelerator quite well.  All of the other brands mentioned have the same active ingredients, just different application techniques- So, not much difference in the actual products- just marketing hype.

edited to correct:  active ingredient is Urea Peroxide.  The question is, in what amount?  I have a lot of respect for Irwin Smigel, founder of the American Society of Dental Aesthetics & inventor of SuperSmile. He was president of the ASDA until his death.   It works for me.  You might check the active ingredient in Intelliwhite if you're curious.

Honored Contributor

Charcoal is naturally absorbent for many things like odor especially. But when it comes to whitening teeth it works by abrading the enamel then absorbing what comes off the enamel...including the enamel! So long-term use of charcoal is not recommended by many dentists. Simply swishing a charcoal solution in your mouth might freshen your breath but won't whiten the teeth. @Funloving

I agree about keeping teeth whitening gels and other such products in the fridge. Hydrogen peroxide (active ingredient in most of them) is highly deactivated by heat and light. That is why you usually see hydrogen peroxide being sold in dark colored bottles. Once opened, that bottle should be stored in the fridge to preserve it's efficacy. Same goes for teeth-whitening products that contain peroxide or peroxide derivatives.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Charcoal is naturally absorbent for many things like odor especially. But when it comes to whitening teeth it works by abrading the enamel then absorbing what comes off the enamel...including the enamel! So long-term use of charcoal is not recommended by many dentists. Simply swishing a charcoal solution in your mouth might freshen your breath but won't whiten the teeth. @Funloving

I agree about keeping teeth whitening gels and other such products in the fridge. Hydrogen peroxide (active ingredient in most of them) is highly deactivated by heat and light. That is why you usually see hydrogen peroxide being sold in dark colored bottles. Once opened, that bottle should be stored in the fridge to preserve it's efficacy. Same goes for teeth-whitening products that contain peroxide or peroxide derivatives.

@SilleeMee  Hmmmm. Live and learn.