Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Your Skin Know What Time It Is?

I think there have been enough studies to indicate that your skin loses more moisture at night. Is that between 10 p.m. & 2 a.m.? Who knows.

It stands to reason, not just your skin, but your body undergoes repair at night. Less light, pollution & stress exposure. You experience recovery after a good night's sleep.

I used to not use moisturizer at night, but I've since mended my ways. If there's a time when I don't need the extra moisture, it's during the day.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The 10 to 2 thing is obviously a sales ploy.  What I've heard - which may or may not be correct - is that the whole body, inside and out, rejuvenates when we sleep.  No matter what time it is when we sleep.  So our complexion is doing its thing of resting and refreshing itself while we sleep - and that may be the best time to wear some skin care products.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Some moisturizers that are suggested for nighttime use, are thicker and may not work well with makeup. However there are some that say you can use day or night. Also some of those night creams have retinol in them which you don't want to use during the day. Retinol can break down in sunlight.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Lately I've noticed a lot of skin care lines are promoting their new night creams by saying we are sleeping between certain hours. Today, listening to Marissa from IT, I learned this new cream works between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. 

I never wore moisturizer at night. My dermatologist said I didn't need to. When I asked her at my last appointment she gave me a sample of a drug store moisturizer to try. I wasn't that impressed with it, so decided on my own to wear Josie Maran's milk moisturizer, which I'm very happy with. Then I decided to wear other recommended products over that. But I'm not consistent, and I know I should be! 

But I really don't think my night cream won't work if I go to sleep later than midnight- which I do!  

What do you think?  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom   Night creams/moisturizers are usually richer or have retinols that can't be worn during the day. In the winter, when my skin is dry, I do use a richer cream at night...but my skin doesn't care what time I apply it...9PM after a bath or before bedtime. That's an "IT" sale's tactic.

In warmer weather, my daytime moisturizer, not too heavy, is also applied at night. 

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

I think there have been enough studies to indicate that your skin loses more moisture at night. Is that between 10 p.m. & 2 a.m.? Who knows.

It stands to reason, not just your skin, but your body undergoes repair at night. Less light, pollution & stress exposure. You experience recovery after a good night's sleep.

I used to not use moisturizer at night, but I've since mended my ways. If there's a time when I don't need the extra moisture, it's during the day.

@Harpa  For day,  I wear BB Vitamin Enriched Face Base...a gel moisturizer (quite light) with a built in primer. It's their #1 top rated moisturizer....so much so, they recently added a Vit. Enriched eye cream, too, also not heavy, but enough moisture.

Honored Contributor

I generally apply a heavier product at night.  However, currently, both my night and day creams say to apply am & pm.  I just use the one that's a little thicker at night.  

Honored Contributor

No, but it knows how old I am.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

No, but it knows how old I am.  

@depglass 

Good one! 🤣