Super Contributor

Does Anyone Remember or Use the "Charlie" Fragrance from the 70's?

I recently decided to try to find the old Charlie fragrance from the 70's. It was such a light, awesome, beautiful scent.

I purchased some off Amazon. It was just named "Charlie." It absolutely stunk! It was a very sharp, irritating scent and smelled like a fragrance that had aged and gone bad. I thought maybe it was a knock-off and sent it back.

When I was in Walmart one day, I saw the Charlie fragrance. It was the same stinky scent again. I contacted Revlon, and they told me that the old Charlie is now called "Charlie Blue." I ordered Charlie Blue online, and it was the same stinky scent again. It definitely was not the old Charlie.

I know that my memory of it has not changed, because certain smells have always been irritating to my nose and head, and these versions of Charlie definitely are. Revlon claims they have not changed the formulation. I cannot buy it directly from Revlon...I tried.

Does anyone happen to use Charlie, and if so, where do you purchase it? Thank you!

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Remember or Use the ""Charlie"" Fragrance from the 70's?

I do remember Charlie. I didn't know it was still on the market. It was a nice scent.

Respected Contributor

I have seen it at Vermont Country Store, but do not know if it is the real thing. Good luck with the search. I know the feeling.

Trusted Contributor

I definitely remember it, I wore it in high school. Had to get it from a department store counter. They had soaps and other items that went with it. Even a makeup line. I remember it being quite strong, even back then. But I still loved it. The commercials/magazine ads probably worked their magic on me. I think most of the old fragrances that we loved has been changed/reformulated over the years.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

Remember it... wore it... tried the so called newer version and you are right... not the same. So I like Jovan Musk from CVS now. Have not bought that in a few.. so betcha it has changed too. I like light, barely there fragrances and am not winning the battle finding them.

Esteemed Contributor

Another comment. Anyone know of light fragrances that I could try?

Trusted Contributor

On 9/9/2014 bonnielu said:

Another comment. Anyone know of light fragrances that I could try?

Check out Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Super Contributor

I can assure you, it stunk back then too but if you were a teenager you still wanted it anyway. It was still popular though for some reason. I remember my sister wanting some for her birthday when she was 12 or 13 so my mother bought her some and it was horrible!

Respected Contributor

I liked it. I probably wouldn't now, but back then I did. I also liked Wind Song, my aunt wore that.

Respected Contributor

I used to love the original Charlie. I also loved Emeraude, Wind Song, and several other drugstore fragrances from back then. Aaahhh, the memories...

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James