Reply
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎03-15-2010

Do you wear makeup to the gym?

If you wear makeup to the gym what do you wear? I need to start going to the gym before work and need suggestions for makeup that will last through a workout and still look ok at work with minimal touch up. Thank you in advance for any recommendations.
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,051
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Do you wear makeup to the gym?

I wear make up. Some do, some don't. I don't sweat on my face, I sweat on my neck and back of my head. I lift weights and have always a PT to encourage me and guide me and keep me from hurting myself and she wears make up, too. The weight room is in the bottom of the gym and mostly men (they don't wear make up) however, they seem to take some pride in how they look.

Super Contributor
Posts: 313
Registered: ‎03-16-2014

Re: Do you wear makeup to the gym?

How intensive are your workouts sweat-wise?

The reason I ask is because normal foundation can clog your pores when mixed with sweat, so it would be best to use a BB/CC cream since they provide coverage but tend to have more skin benefits than detriments. I wear a Dr. Jart BB cream when I go to the gym and it lasts throughout my workout and for many hours after.

As far as blush/bronzer/highlighter, NARS products last all day regardless of the complexion product they're on - Nordstrom just released a palette for $49 called "Domination" that contains a highlighter, a bronzer, and two blushes, so it's a good thing to try if you're interested in their products.

With eye makeup, you might want to use a cream eyeshadow instead of a powder one, since they stay all day. Maybelline Color Tattoos and MAC Paintpots are very good cream eyeshadows with great pigmentation. Kat Von D's Tattoo eyeliner doesn't budge, even during intense cardio! Dior's Diorshow Extase Mascara stays put all day, even during sweaty workouts.

For lips, Urban Decay makes an awesome lip pencil/lipstick (I don't even know what this product would be classified as) called Super Saturated Lip Color, which is a fantastic, very pigmented color on its own but also provides a great base should you choose to use another product over it.

Hope this helps!

Valued Contributor
Posts: 867
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Do you wear makeup to the gym?

No one is going to care…you are better off going with a clean, make-up free face so your pores can breathe. Honestly, I think it is is unproductive to wear make-up to work out in, what is the point? I always go with a make-up free face and I have not scared anyone off from working out.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,050
Registered: ‎09-26-2010

Re: Do you wear makeup to the gym?

I put minimal on.. just enough so people don't say " you look tired today".. I put a little eye liner on upper lid, a little concealor under eye and any "red" or " sun spots and use Josie Maron color stick - just a smidge on cheeks and eyelids... very natural so I look like i'm not wearing make up.

Super Contributor
Posts: 313
Registered: ‎03-16-2014

Re: Do you wear makeup to the gym?

On 9/20/2014 Good4u said:

No one is going to care…you are better off going with a clean, make-up free face so your pores can breathe. Honestly, I think it is is unproductive to wear make-up to work out in, what is the point? I always go with a make-up free face and I have not scared anyone off from working out.

If I understand correctly, the OP has to wear makeup since she's going to work straight after, so she needs products that'll stay put.

But yeah, if you're going to just the gym and nowhere afterwards, product-free is the way to be.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 867
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Do you wear makeup to the gym?

Personally, OP should not be wearing any make-up to the gym. She will only cause issues with her pores becoming aggravated and clogged. She can quickly clean her face and then put on make up afterward. She shouldn't do it the way she posed the question.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Do you wear makeup to the gym?

On 9/20/2014 RyBelle said:
On 9/20/2014 Good4u said:

No one is going to care…you are better off going with a clean, make-up free face so your pores can breathe. Honestly, I think it is is unproductive to wear make-up to work out in, what is the point? I always go with a make-up free face and I have not scared anyone off from working out.

If I understand correctly, the OP has to wear makeup since she's going to work straight after, so she needs products that'll stay put.

But yeah, if you're going to just the gym and nowhere afterwards, product-free is the way to be.

I would not want to spend the day working next to someone who came to work from the gym without a shower.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,057
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Do you wear makeup to the gym?

Wearing make up when you work out can clog pores. I run a lot and only wear Josie Marans SPF moisturizer to make sure I have some sun protection. Anytime I forgot to take off my make up before I run, my skin is not so great within the next few days

Deb

Super Contributor
Posts: 313
Registered: ‎03-16-2014

Re: Do you wear makeup to the gym?

On 9/20/2014 happy housewife said:
On 9/20/2014 RyBelle said:
On 9/20/2014 Good4u said:

No one is going to care…you are better off going with a clean, make-up free face so your pores can breathe. Honestly, I think it is is unproductive to wear make-up to work out in, what is the point? I always go with a make-up free face and I have not scared anyone off from working out.

If I understand correctly, the OP has to wear makeup since she's going to work straight after, so she needs products that'll stay put.

But yeah, if you're going to just the gym and nowhere afterwards, product-free is the way to be.

I would not want to spend the day working next to someone who came to work from the gym without a shower.

I understand where you're coming from, but is this comment really necessary? I'm sure the OP values hygiene but has time constraints that demand she go straight from the gym to the office. It happens to the best of us.