Honored Contributor

Re: Do you wear makeup to the gym?

I always wear makeup. If I didn't then that is when my face would have issues and get burny and blotchy. The makeup I wear is also skin care with good ingredients and not just any old makeup that probably might clog pores. I need that protective layer of skincare/makeup to keep my skin feeling and looking great! I can shower and reapply again after working out with no problem.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/20/2014 happy housewife said:
On 9/20/2014 RyBelle said:
On 9/20/2014 Good4u said:

No one is going to care…you are better off going with a clean, make-up free face so your pores can breathe. Honestly, I think it is is unproductive to wear make-up to work out in, what is the point? I always go with a make-up free face and I have not scared anyone off from working out.

If I understand correctly, the OP has to wear makeup since she's going to work straight after, so she needs products that'll stay put.

But yeah, if you're going to just the gym and nowhere afterwards, product-free is the way to be.

I would not want to spend the day working next to someone who came to work from the gym without a shower.

I was thinking the same thing......

Respected Contributor

I never leave the house without a tinted moisturizer with an SPF in it and a lip balm with an spf. I don't go to the gym in full makeup..

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the responses. My intent is to take a shower after my workout but the lighting is not good to do makeup in the locker room and once I get to work I don't have time. The gym is a block from work so it does not make sense to go home.
Honored Contributor

OP -- I swear by BE original loose and BE READY as it is sweat proof. I mostly go to the gym after work and I don't take my makeup off first. It stays through water aerobics, cycle, zumba and yoga.

If I were going somewhere after, I don't know if I would need to touch it up or not. I use the primer with it, so I usually only need to touch mine up around the nose/mouth area because I have allergies and use a lot of tissues throughout the day. Otherwise, it stays put.

That said, OP, if you are getting up at 4 am to put on your makeup to go to the gym, why not get up at 4am and go to the gym and put your makeup on after. What's the difference between using the 15 minutes before the gym or 15 minutes after the gym? It's the same amount of time. Unless it's an issue of not wanting to be seen without makeup on (I understand that, I was like that in my teens and 20s due to cycstic acne). But in that case, I would find a good dermatologist to help you get your skin in shape. I am sorry I waited until my 30s to go to a derm to fix my problems. I can now go out without makeup (I do go to the gym without makeup on weekends and on days I work from home) and not feel self conscious.

For the masses, if you read any fitness magazines (Shape, Fitness, Oxygen, Box, Strong), they all have products, tips, tricks and techniques for people who work out at lunch and don't have time to shower after. It can be done without offending the masses ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

re lighting

Every hotel room in America has poor lighting. LOL I am right there with you.

Can you put your makeup on at the office? Is the lighting better there? I have my own office and when I come back from my dermatologist appointment, I close the door and pull out my makeup mirror from under my desk and put my make up on at my desk.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

NONE! Go with clean skin and wash your face after your workout, then apply makeup. This will be best for your face and skin even if you don't sweat on your face. Pores open when you workout and fill with whatever is there and close again when you cool down. Clean skin is happy skin. Men won't care if you don't wear it to the gym, they are too busy watching you workout and what you wear.

Honored Contributor

Only if I forget to take it off. My workouts - both weight training & cardio are pretty intense & I sweat everywhere. I forgot once when wearing new eyeliner and was sure it would end up all over my face but it stayed put beautifully. It was black BE loose mineral eyeliner.

Honored Contributor

No makeup for me, I sweat too heavily when I workout. But I am not going straight to the office, either. I would have to do my workout after work, as I am drenched afterwards.

"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

No, I barely brush my hair. If I have to go I take a shower there, and get ready there.