Honored Contributor

Re: Do you use a "setting spray" after applying your make-up?

I am 69 and have very dry skin. I use moisturizing Spackle as primer and L'Oreal true match powder foundation, followed by a spritz of rosewater to set it and take away the powdery look. I use a rosewater from Amazon because I like the very fine mist that it sprays. Enough to do the job but doesn't make my face feel wet.It's called The body Shop hydrating face mist with vitamin E.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am 69 and have very dry skin. I use moisturizing Spackle as primer and L'Oreal true match powder foundation, followed by a spritz of rosewater to set it and take away the powdery look. I use a rosewater from Amazon because I like the very fine mist that it sprays. Enough to do the job but doesn't make my face feel wet.It's called The body Shop hydrating face mist with vitamin E.

@151949  Just wondering why if your skin is dry do you use a powder foundation? Obviously the fact that you compensate w/ a hydrating primer and a hydrating setting spray to “take away the powdery look” is a clue to me that you may want to try a less drying formula. It’ll save you the 2 extra steps trying to add moisture. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I don't like liquid foundation. I hate how it feels on my skin.I do wear it for very special occasions, but my daily MU is powder. I use it very lightly, I don't cake it on. I don't have anything to really hide on my face . I know some have things like acne scars etc - I don't. I do confess to having freckles but I don't even try to hide them.So a very light dusting of powdered foundation and powdered blush is it for me.When used lightly and not caked on powder does not make you look older - nor cake in your wrinkles or anything else some women claim it does. 

Trusted Contributor

YES!!!  I use a setting spray!  If not, by afternoon, my makeup begins to look faded and mottled, even though I use a face, lip and eye primer.  Since I turned 50, a setting spray became a "must".  I've used ALL brands, from high end to drugstore and found the best by surprise.  I was visiting my sister and saw a bottle of AVON makeup setting spray on her bathroom vanity.  I asked her if I could give it a whirl and SURPRISE...it is now the only setting spray I use!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  BY saying "take away the powdery look" I meant - to make it look like natural skin and not makeup. I don't like a made up look - I like my MU to look natural.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Shanus  BY saying "take away the powdery look" I meant - to make it look like natural skin and not makeup. I don't like a made up look - I like my MU to look natural.

@151949. A cotton pad or washcloth with a little cold water pressed lightly on cheeks has always worked for me (if I’ve used a setting powder which is rare). I leave the t zone as is since mine usually gets oily & blot during the day...don’t add powder...it will just cake. I steal (borrow) toilet seat covers when I see them & cut into sm. squares 3X3 to keep in mu bag for blotting. 

Honored Contributor

I do just fine with a light spritz of rosewater, thank you.

Seriously - you take toilet seat covers that have been in a public restroom to blot your face? GROSS!

Honored Contributor

Only for special occasions or concerts, I use the Urban Decay All Nighter spray. My skin is on the drier side of normal. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
If so, what brand do you use? Could you post your age and what brand of make up you use. Liquid or powder? Is you skin dry or oily? (68 yrs. old, normal/dry skin) Thanks so much 🙋🏻❤️

@Naturesbeauty  Makeup Setting Sprays have only been around several years. In the years before that, just plain water was sprayed on the face (messy & drippy)...I like pressing a damp cold washcloth against my face just in some areas....BEFORE eye makeup...a big mess unless you use waterproof liner and mascara, especially if you do you want to use a setting spray.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I do just fine with a light spritz of rosewater, thank you.

Seriously - you take toilet seat covers that have been in a public restroom to blot your face? GROSS!

@151949  I leave public bathrooms w/ at least 6 in my bag. Only gross if used. 🤪