Honored Contributor

Re: Do you use a product for heat protection?

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I wash my hair and blow it dry every day and as yet have not had a problem with heat damaging it. However, my hair is very fine and dries very quickly. I used to use a curling brush but have stopped now, so the dryer is the only heat on it.

Good; fine hair is much more fragile.

Plus, you're washing and heat-drying it every single day.

If possible, try to use a lower heat setting, and blow it to only 75-80% dryness.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I have used a ton of them and haven't noticed a difference in my hair when I use one and when I don't use one.  And I have thin, fine and color treated hair.  I've used drugstore store, Sally's, salon products.......no major difference.

The things that really made a huge difference to me hair was using the nozzle on my blow-dryer, lightly spraying just the ends of my hair with oil such as moroccan, argan, etc. and using a lower heat setting on my flat iron.  Right now I am using the Suave Morrocan Infusion Styling Oil Light which is for thin/fine hair. It's cheap and it does the job.      

Great tips.  8)

You can also use a blow dryer diffuser, either the kind with 'fingers' that creates extra volume, or the 'sock' that just slips on.

Although I air-dry my baby fine hair 99% of the time and rarely use a heat tool, I use the lightweight oil below on my ends.

BTW, this extra moisture and protection can be applied whether your hair is damp or dry.

Like yours, it's reasonably-priced and not too heavy for fine hair.

884abd54a2d29591d6527c5295a66ab8.jpg (236×314)

Honored Contributor

I don't but I do sometimes spray on a thickening gel.  However, I love Josie's hair serum which I use often.  My hair is short so I only need one drop and rub between my hand and start at the base of neck and work forward.  It gives beautiful shine that is natural and conditions the hair.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@Trix I couldn't agree more !  Recently a poster whose name I can't recall suggested Karechom.  The manufacturer is Brazilian.  I don't do a Brazilian keratin straightener but I use the conditioning / finishing products which are heavenly on natural hair too.  I have, because of her kindness, found the product line my hair needs, adores.  

.Thanks for the list of workable products !  I haven't yet found a spray to encourage a flatiron curl. Maybe one of the suggested products will work until the Brazilian Kanechom company markets one in the U.S.

ps: have you tried Squalane ? OMG! Better than argan and jojoba oils. Leaves no greasy oily feel but eases detangling , blow drying , leaving more hair on my head and a soft silky mane.

Honored Contributor

@quinny wrote:

Most Definitely!  I have dry, coarse hair, I have tried all kinds of heat protectors and the very best one I have found that does not leave my hair greasy or heavy is SILK ELEMENTS WITH OLIVE OIL.  It is available at Sally Beauty.  Depending upon how your Sally store is arranged, sometimes it  is in the general heat protection products, sometimes I find it in the ethnic hair products.  Though I am Caucasian, this product works wonders on my hair!

Most of these types of protectants have a lot of silicone.  I shy away from cones on my hair---buildup.

I am now using LIving Proof with no cones.  It's $27 but it seems better.  I hope it is.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Valued Contributor

Sebastian has a good heat product called Trillant. Smells great and has "brillant" reflectors in it, not sparkles or glitter but light reflectors. Makes your hair supershiny and mositurized. Wouldn't use anything else.

Respected Contributor

I am not sure if I responded yet but loreal has a good one that smells great in a black and pink bottle ans suave professionals  has a great volume blow dry spray.  No need to spend a lot on wen.  I tried the alterna bamboo heat spray on easy pay day and love it as well. it also works as a regular leav in conditioner