Trusted Contributor

Do you use a product for heat protection?

Just wondering. I had recently heard a vendor state how important it is to protect your hair from breakage. Do you use one, which brand, and do you have any tips? Thanks in advance.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you use a product for heat protection?

@joannecha

I use the Wen syling creme just one pump and it lasts a long time.

Super Contributor

I also use the WEN styling cream,  I use two pumps to soaking wet hair.  The bottle does seem to last a long time.  The product is a heat protectant and also helps prevent frizz.  I blow dry with the nozzle on and always keep the blow dryer moving so you dont burn your hair.  I also dont over dry.  I stop when my hair is smooth but not bone dry.  I also try not to blow dry every time I wash my hair.  The WEN products have worked really well to keep my hair healthy.  I am very pleased with them.  QVC has the best deals on WEN products. 

Valued Contributor

If you use heat of any kind on your hair then you MUST use a heat protectant to stop breakage.  It is true and it is necessary.  I buy mine from the local Sally's Beauty Supply store because its cheaper than Wen with the same result.  I use Bioterra Thermal Protect Styling Spray.  I only use a curling iron so I spray on the protectant first when my hair is already dry.  

Honored Contributor

@Good4u wrote:

If you use heat of any kind on your hair then you MUST use a heat protectant to stop breakage.  It is true and it is necessary.  I buy mine from the local Sally's Beauty Supply store because its cheaper than Wen with the same result.  I use Bioterra Thermal Protect Styling Spray.  I only use a curling iron so I spray on the protectant first when my hair is already dry.  

So true!

I also get mine from Sally's -- I use Silk Elements heat protectant products, sometimes the cream, sometimes the spray.  No breakage (I use a flat iron), and it leaves my hair incredibly soft and shiny, and I never feel that "product" feel on it at all. 

Honored Contributor

I wash my hair and blow it dry every day and as yet have not had a problem with heat damaging it. However, my hair is very fine and dries very quickly. I used to use a curling brush but have stopped now, so the dryer is the only heat on it.

Valued Contributor

I have been using a Theorie heat protecting spray that I bought at Marshall's for half price. DH is sleeping in, so I can't get the exact name for you at the moment. I like it, but I also use a gel for body and blow dry after applying both. Seems to work well.

I tried TIGI Superstar yesterday, without gel and it left my hair way too soft and limp with no body. I assume my hair was protected from heat.

Honored Contributor

I have used a ton of them and haven't noticed a difference in my hair when I use one and when I don't use one.  And I have thin, fine and color treated hair.  I've used drugstore store, Sally's, salon products.......no major difference.

The things that really made a huge difference to me hair was using the nozzle on my blow-dryer, lightly spraying just the ends of my hair with oil such as moroccan, argan, etc. and using a lower heat setting on my flat iron.  Right now I am using the Suave Morrocan Infusion Styling Oil Light which is for thin/fine hair. It's cheap and it does the job.      

Super Contributor

Yes! I don't heat style or blow dry very often but anytime I do I always use the heat protectant. 

Now I use the wen styling cream but before that I had a chi spray. When I go to the hairdresser he puts uses a cream for heat protection, the brand varies. 

If you're only blow drying a couple times a week it wouldn't  be as important. If you use a flat iron or curling iron I'd say it should be used every time. 

Esteemed Contributor

Using a protective product before heat styling is imperative.  If you aren't then you are undoing any good things your shampoo and conditioner have done for your hair.  What you use may depend on hair type. For my dry tight coils I need a spritz of some kind of leave-in conditioning spray and a cream or oil.  There are many products at a lot of price points for this purpose, so if you don't want to spend $20+ for styling gel there are good ones for $10 (and less).  Among my favorites are Nick Chavez's Flocker; Nick's Mesquite Body Boost Protein Spray (which is not really a spray but a lotion); Nick's Mesquite Restorating Mist; Aveda's Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade; Carol's Daughter Honey Hair Mimosa.  For the budget conscious Sally's  Ion brand has some good styling products for less than $10 each and usually these products are on some kind of buy more special.