Honored Contributor

Re: Do you use “OTC” retinol or RX?

[ Edited ]

@Longhorn Gal wrote:

I get Tretinoin cream .05% from TaraSkinCare.  I do have a question for anyone who can answer.  Is the cream or gel better?  On TSC they have the Tretinion Gel in .05, .025, or .1%.  Just wondering which delivery system is better for wrinkles?  

@Longhorn Gal 

The gel is usually recommended for oily skin. Neither one is any better than the other. The higher the dose, the more effective. But your skin has to tolerate increasing the dose over time. I plan on working a .1% into my routine by using it once a week or less then slowing more frequently until my skin adjusts. I will use both the .1 and the .05 on different nights until I can eliminate the .05 altogether.

Trusted Contributor

@wvumountiefan  I have been using retinol products for about 20 years.  I currently use Paula's Choice 1% retinol product which I love. It is a gentle retinol which I use every 3rd day. I am 61 and have very few lines on my forehead and some small smile lines (crow's feet) none other than that. 

Regular Contributor

I know that’s not what you asked, but for the first time I’m trying a retinal from Costco. A South Korean product that gives retinal vs retinol. I’m looking for a stronger form of retinal 0.05%. For those interested has excellent reviews. Two tubes, o.7 oz for under 40. Back in the 80’s it was a bit harder to get your hands on Rx RetinA so I didn’t use much. Waiting for mine. I’m ready to try at age 58 yrs...looking for extra oomph....stay golden....
Valued Contributor

I use RX tretinoin (the main ingredient in Retin-A) prescribed by an online dermatologist from curology.com. You fill out an online questionnaire about your health, allergies, etc. You also take a couple of pics and a provider gets in touch with you with recommendations. They start you out with a low dosage of tretinoin and then adjust your formula as needed. My compounded cream is created for fine lines and uneven skin tone.  My current script is .07 tretinoin, 4% niacinamide and 5% tranexamic acid. I love this combo better than straight Retin-A. It averages out to $20 a month.

Esteemed Contributor

OTC -- Amara Beauty 2.5% Retinol Cream with Hyaluronic Acid.  Solid plastic bottle, airless pump dispenser.   I'ved used this for about 3 years now -- love how it moisturizes so I don't need a separate moisturizer at night.  One and done!   Also like the results.

Retinol Cream

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Tsukiko wrote:

I use RX tretinoin (the main ingredient in Retin-A) prescribed by an online dermatologist from curology.com. You fill out an online questionnaire about your health, allergies, etc. You also take a couple of pics and a provider gets in touch with you with recommendations. They start you out with a low dosage of tretinoin and then adjust your formula as needed. My compounded cream is created for fine lines and uneven skin tone.  My current script is .07 tretinoin, 4% niacinamide and 5% tranexamic acid. I love this combo better than straight Retin-A. It averages out to $20 a month.

@Tsukiko is this a subscription or do you order as you need it?  I tend to use a lot less product than most auto-delivery programs think I should be using, so end up with way too much product piling up or having to cancel.  

I don't think anything will help much with my deep horizontal forehaead line and my 1 which is trying to become a 111, but I am getting lines all around the mouth area that the tretinoin might help.  The rest of my face is really good, no wrinkles, no crows feet.  I'm 62.

Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess Yes this is a subscription but you can delay shipment if you still have product left. On their website it's easy to postpone or cancel. I first heard about this company from YouTube's Hot and Flashy. If you go there just type in Hot and Flashy Curology and she tells you all about it. I think they may still have the first month is free, you just pay shipping (4.95) and they send you a month's supply of cleanser, moisturizer and RX cream customized for your needs. The RX actually lasted me 43 days. You only need 1 pump. I just started the 2 month supply bottle so I am keeping track of how long it lasts so I know what date to postpone delivery. Also if you subscribe after the one month be aware that the next shipment will show the cleanser and moisturizer added but you can go on to your account and remove those of you don't want those. They charge you every 2 months $40 for just the RX or $60 with the cleanser and moisturizer. You can choose to be sent the smaller 1 month supply which is $19.95 each month but they charge shipping $4.95 each month. I hope this isn't confusing. It much easier to see when you sign up.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Tsukiko wrote:

@Tsukiko is this a subscription or do you order as you need it?  I tend to use a lot less product than most auto-delivery programs think I should be using, so end up with way too much product piling up or having to cancel.  

I don't think anything will help much with my deep horizontal forehaead line and my 1 which is trying to become a 111, but I am getting lines all around the mouth area that the tretinoin might help.  The rest of my face is really good, no wrinkles, no crows feet.  I'm 62.

@Icegoddess 

I got rid of my forehead lines with a dermaroller. My lines were not deep but they were very visible and there were multiple lines. They are completely gone now. Took several months but the roller worked. I also roll around my lip area and my lines there have gotten less noticeble...that took a while of rolling to get this far.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee My forehead line is DEEP.  It's been there most of my adult life.  I do have finer lines across my forehead now although I don't notice them unless I look in the magnifying mirror. Those would probably be a better candidate for the dermaroller.

Honored Contributor

There are many 2.5% sold on amazon and on ebay. the highest percentage I have seen OTC is from Consult Beaute on SHQ, it is 3% in their Retinol concentrate serum.