Respected Contributor

Re: Do you toss makeup before it's used up?

Oh yes I toss it out....when in doubt I toss it out!! LOL

My foundation is a liquid in a pump...so no issues there...and I mostly use a foundation brush that I clean (I have several) weekly.  I do use the IT spray cleaner during the week and then a full wash on the weekends.  Since I have several I use during the week I only use one brush 3 times before it gets a deep wash.  Having rosacea and skin that breaks out easily this helps keep my issues in check.

I also change my pillow cases often.  

As for my phone I use speaker phone mostly so again no issues with that touching my face.  I do clean it often just because.

Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, I toss it if it smells funky, looks weird, feels "off," or I just simply know I've had it for a long time and shouldn't keep it anymore.

I have extra brushes, so if I don't feel like doing the "brush laundry" I still have clean brushes.

Makeup sponges get washed after each use.  

I also don't blow on my cosmetics or my brushes, as that adds bacteria and moisture that wouldn't be there otherwise.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Valued Contributor

I replace my mascara about every three months. I don't keep a whole lot of foundations; I have one stick and one liquid that I alternate, and I usually replace them before they are completely gone. 

I usually toss anything I don't use often and I usually replace cream shadows often. I always use a clean brush or sponge every day to apply make up. 

Valued Contributor

Thank you ladies!  I appreciate all of your thoughts and helpful suggestions and I will apply those that I have been lax in.  

Respected Contributor

The chin is a very common area for hormonal acne. Has your derm mentioned this at all or have they ruled that out? (Sorry if this was already mentioned.)

Esteemed Contributor

I regularly declutter makeup that I don't like or don't want to use. That includes anything that has gone off -- developed a smell or has separated, or does not perform as before. I also don't keep items that get too old...more than 3 years old for a liquid or cream cosmetic is too old. 

Do you regularly wash your makeup brushes? Change out your bath towels and bed linens regularly? Have you checked your face and hair care products to see if anything could be bothering your skin?

Honored Contributor

These days, I use a product completely before discarding - unless I can't stand it - then I'd toss it. 

The one product I've kept through the years is eyeshadow.  I have to admit that some of the shadows are quite old, but they're in great condition and I can't see tossing them out - yet.

Valued Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom 

I wondered the same myself. To answer your question though, my dermatologist (I've seen two from the same office) have not discussed their thoughts much with me.  They call it rosacea and give me a script. Guess I need to ask more questions. I was once asked about stress. Perhaps that is a trigger.  I do get breakouts around my nose and makeup seems to bring on problems.  My mom had the same issue in her mid forties.  She passed in her late forties so her history ended too soon Smiley Sad  

Respected Contributor

It depends on the product. Foundations I use up easily so I never throw those away. Blushes I have forever. When they start to look a funky I get rid of them. Lipsticks I also have for a very long time. Some of my nail polishes can last for a few years but if they develop an odor, I get rid of them. My eyeshadows last for several years too but if they develop a film I toss them.

Valued Contributor

I sometimes toss if I find something better I like or its too old.  Powder things last a long time.  I prefer pump bottles.  I have lots of bare minerals but I don't dip brushes in them so they are probably not bad.  You can start getting acne for other reasons.  Try a glycolic cleanser and or cream, use things with AHA's in them that will give your skin a light mild peel. I can't use regular moisturizers on my skin.  I also was shampooing with  rich shampoo and started to get pimples on my scalp so it could be something you are washing with.  I can't use liquid makeup either only for special occasions my skin is too oily.