Valued Contributor

Re: Do you think we're overloading our poor face with too much stuff????

ITA that too much layering just doesn't make sense. At night I cleanse, use my retinol, a serum and a moisturizer.

In the morning I cleanse, use an AHA pad, a Vit C serum, and a sunscreen...then my makeup for the day.

It probably helps that I don't have dry skin, but at 56yo...my skin looks great.

Regular Contributor

Once I use up all of this stuff I plan to simplify my skin care!!! It will take a while to use it all though lol. So many kits, so many products from different skin care lines..so overwhelming and just probably too much for my skin!! Oy vey LOL..

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I think that the reason why some have so many problems with their skin is because they use too many products.

Sometimes less is more...

Respected Contributor

On 1/12/2014 Grade1Teach said:

Yes, I think that the reason why some have so many problems with their skin is because they use too many products.

Sometimes less is more...

Agree! I recently had to cut back.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Too much, and it is superfluous; too little, and it isn't enough.

Esteemed Contributor

Once you apply one layer, will anything you apply on top of that first layer even sink in and "help" your skin? Too many products/layers clog your pores and cause unhealthy skin (just my opinion, folks).

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I think that by using too many products (skincare) on your skin that you have no idea what is doing what. More than 2 is overkill for me and I would like to take that down to one, personally. This way I will know if I really like the product and what it is doing for my skin.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

From what I read here, I would say yes.

Valued Contributor

Agreed. And so does my dermatologist who taught me this same thing. Once I stopped the layering madness and used only the 2 "anti-aging" products my derm explained have been proven [in double blind, clinical trials with thousands of humans and their real skin -- not just "in vitro" (test tube) lab tests] -- my skin quickly became the best it ever has been. Not to mention the fact that I save a fortune by no longer buying the lotions and potions that have never been proven to do a thing. Yay!

Honored Contributor

YES! I sold make up years ago and I had several women ask me if I used all 5 steps myself. I had to tell them no. If they were having problems with their skin such as break outs or sensitivity....less is better. I came to the conclusion long ago that less is better no matter what type of skin you have. You may think that I was losing business but surprisingly enough......these women usually came back and my sales remained high.