Contributor

Re: Do you think taking biotin helps?

I also take the Consulte Hair Skin and Nails.  My hair was thinning.  So I gave these supplements a try.  My hair is growing and filling in.  In addition, my nails are growing very quickly.  My lips were always dry and peeling. They peel very seldom but the skin is very soft now (I wish it would take the lines around my mouth away too).  I agree it does take awhile to see results,  so stick with it.  I gave some of these supplements to my siste.  Its helping her hair too.  8,000 to 10,000 mcg's  of biotin works best for me. i have also tried Joyce Giraud's Ultimate Hair strength.  Works very well also.           

@SahmIam wrote:

I take the Consulte Hair and Skin supplement which contains a large amount of biotin and yes, my hair does show a significant difference in growth overall as well as strength and strand thickness. I was losing a large amount of hair due to medical issues and it wasn't growing back. I had nothing to lose and someone here suggested these (others gave me horrible stomach pain/gas). No issue and I won't stop using them as the results are SO worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Texasmouse

When we moved from one state to another, my nails fell into such a state of disrepair you could not believe it: peeling, breaking, thinning, the whole magilla.  Immediately went on Biotin from PureFormulas and I now have my pre-move nails back.  Amazing!

I've not noticed any benefit to my hair.  However, I told my tale to a friend of my next door neighbor and she started taking Biotin for her hair.  Next time I saw her, she thanked me profusely, as she said she had had a lot of difficulties with her hair and was now so pleased.  She never did say what the issues were, but the Biotin worked for her hair.

Respected Contributor

Many years ago I was taking individual vitamins instead of an all-in-one capsule. The amounts were based on recommendations by nutritionist Adelle Davis. And there were a few other supplements.  After a while, on this regimen, my hair grew much longer and thicker. I was trying the Davis plan for health, not for my hair, so the effect on my hair was a bonus.

But buying separate vitamins became too expensive back then and I had to stop. I have thought about starting up again.

Respected Contributor

I originally took biotin for my hair which went through a large fall-out after being on a diet, I have taken it ever since and believe it made a difference in how fast my hair came back! The added benefit was super strong nails and more supple skin! I have psoriais and my derm says that it sure can't hurt!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have tried biotin, and I have tried Hair, Skin and Nails formulas for a few years.  No, none of them helped at all.  Not one bit. I don't color my hair, I stopped blow drying it over 2 years ago, I seldom flat iron.  No difference. My hair just gets thinner.  :-(

Respected Contributor

I believe it's a marketing scheme. Andrew Lessman has packaged his Biotin into a catch all product "Healthy Hair Skin and Nails". My opinion is taking a generic multi vitamin with biotin is equally effective at a fraction of the price. 

Honored Contributor

I really believe it does help.  I have been taking it for several years now.  I would wash my  hair and really lose a ton.  Combing or brushing -- same thing.  I had all kinds of blood work and they didn't see anything alarming.  My nails were also getting very bad.  Peeling off, etc.  So, I started Biotin and the hair is not coming out like it was and the nails though not terrific, are not peeling and seem a lot healthier.  If you start taking it, you will need to tell health care people when you get blood work, etc., as it could alter results. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Thanks @AngelPuppy1

How much do you take?

Super Contributor

I also have been taking Andrew Lessmans hair skin and nail as Well as his phtoceramides and collagen peptides and my hair has never looked shinier and more beautiful for 58! His products are the best quality on the planet and would never use anyThing else. 

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

Thanks @AngelPuppy1

How much do you take?

@Texasmouse

I take 1000 mcg.  Don't know what the recommended dose is, but this is 1 pill.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin