Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think foundation primer is necessary?

[ Edited ]

I don't think a foundation primer is necessary, especially if you buy a quality foundation.  

The less product on my face, the better.  Using too much product on the face can lead to unnecessary breakouts. 

Foundation primer is good for padding the cosmetic companies bank accounts.  (Unnecessary for the consumer).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo wrote:

@ALRATIBA ~ very interesting..... I've tried using DFC under foundation and it pills and balls up for me, no matter what foundation I use.  For that reason, I only use DFC on my neck during the day (and I have a beauuutiful neck - tee hee).  Do you ever have a problem with DFC pilling?

@tototwo   

No - never had the problem, but my sister did.  It was because she was (1) using too much DFC and (2) putting her foundation on immediately after the DFC.

I put on my lotion/creams, etc, go have coffee and them come back and get dressed and put on my makeup and do my hair.  

Super Contributor

@Redboots wrote:

I am 64 years old with oily skin.  I always wear a primer. This summer I used the COOLA  tinted matte mineral sunscreen with a light dusting of powder and skipped the foundation for day wear. It worked out very nicely.  Now I'm back to using the Skinn Orchid Gel and foundation every day.  I have tried other primers and like the Orchid Gel the best. 

Another vote for the Skinn Orchid Gel.  Funny thing it isn't really a gel!  I highly recommend this for oily skin.  It definitely minimizes pores and keeps the shine at bay.  I also recommend Neutrogena Shine Control Primer as well.  I notice a huge difference with/without primer.  But these two are the only ones that have kept my makeup looking great for hours.

Trusted Contributor

Someone once posted here about putting powder UNDER your foundation.  I tried it, and it works!  But I usually forget to powder first.  I do use Mally's primer.  It's the first one I ever tried, and I've tried a couple since, but went back to Mally's.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your response @ALRATIBA ~ I always apply my morning serum.... wait 10-15 minutes.... apply my primer..... wait 10-15 minutes...... then apply my foundation.  So I don't think applying foundation immediately after the DFC was my problem.  However, I'm guilty of applying a big glob of DFC to my neck, then massaging my neck with my fingers till it all soaks in.  In addition to having a smooth neck, my fingertips are positively ageless!  LOL

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Very few things in life are "one size fits all." Do what works for you. If you see no difference using a primer, don't bother. Or try a different one if you feel you need something more to help.

I have oily/combo skin. I usually use Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel (not meant to be a primer) but I really like Laura Geller Mattifying Spackle, too. Most primers don't impress me, including regular Spackle. 

Respected Contributor

I HATE having to use a primer but when I know I am going to have a long day and I want my make-up to stay pristine I use one.

I have oily skin and had a history of clogged pores and breakouts due to primers..... then I found HOURGLASS mineral primer.  It is the best ever.  The downside is it is VERY expensive.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just wondering if OP is going to try anything??? Lots of good comments for her here.

Honored Contributor

I have an oily tzone, and no longer wear a primer, it is a waste of money for me, never saw a difference in foundation with one. My daughter who has normal skin loves primers.....The only primer that I used to love years ago was Philosophy's The Present(not sure if they even make it anymore), but it was a different kind of primer that you had to leave set for 2-3 minutes. It made my makeup application go on really smoothly....