Contributor

Re: Do you think foundation primer is necessary?

I am 64 years old with oily skin.  I always wear a primer. This summer I used the COOLA  tinted matte mineral sunscreen with a light dusting of powder and skipped the foundation for day wear. It worked out very nicely.  Now I'm back to using the Skinn Orchid Gel and foundation every day.  I have tried other primers and like the Orchid Gel the best. 

Honored Contributor

I don't use a "primer" but I do use Avon's Dramatic Firming Cream and then a bit later apply foundation.  

Esteemed Contributor

IT is not necessary but I think it is helpful.  I use Laura Geller's Spackle and put my CC cream on with my fingers. IT seems to go on with less pulling and tugging when I use a primer.

Respected Contributor

When using a powder foundation I use my own primer concoction of just a tiny bit of Paula's Choice oil booster with one of her silicone based antioxidant serums. With very dry skin this guarantees powder will never look chalky or thick, find any fine lines to accentuate... and it melds with my skin for a creamy smooth not powdery look.   Regular primers on the market - PASS.

Honored Contributor

After applying serum, moisturizer & my SPF....don't want another step to makeup. FYI: I use all BB skincare and all the moisturizers have built in primers. I always figured that if my makeup went on dry, got too oily during the day or looked patchy, it was either the wrong foundation formula for me or I needed to check out my skincare routine. I like the French thinking about "makeup".....The French women spend more time and money on skincare & facials. If complexion is in good shape, only minimal amount of makeup is needed. 

Respected Contributor

I didn't want to, but decided to give it a try.

I found Hourglass mineral primer, and it works really well for me.  The best thing it does is make the pores look much less visible.

It also helps for me to be able to use a moisturizer now that my skin is more dry.  I use moisturizer, then primer, then foundation.  I thought it was just another way to take money from us, but it actually does work!

For me, it's been good.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I would never put makeup straight on my skin, but by the time I get on my anti ageing as well as my sunscreen, I have enough of a barrier.

Valued Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I didn't want to, but decided to give it a try.

I found Hourglass mineral primer, and it works really well for me.  The best thing it does is make the pores look much less visible.

It also helps for me to be able to use a moisturizer now that my skin is more dry.  I use moisturizer, then primer, then foundation.  I thought it was just another way to take money from us, but it actually does work!

For me, it's been good.

Hyacinth

Hourglass is the only primer that I repurchase. Since it contains an SPF it is all I need under my mineral makeup during the summer when my skin skews more oily.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA ~ very interesting..... I've tried using DFC under foundation and it pills and balls up for me, no matter what foundation I use.  For that reason, I only use DFC on my neck during the day (and I have a beauuutiful neck - tee hee).  Do you ever have a problem with DFC pilling?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I've tried primers but they didn't work for me, just made me more oily, I have oily skin.  I now just use a BB cream, less is more for me I guess.