Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think foundation primer is necessary?

[ Edited ]

No I personally do not think it is necessary and I've tried many of them and they haven't done anything for me. But, in the same turn, I've never had issues with makeup "disappearing", fading, creasing or migrating, unless, of course the foundation formula isn't good. I also don't see any difference in the way my foundation looks with and without primers. I have normal to dry skin though.

Perhaps it has more to do with the foundations you are using and there are foundations that might work better. Or have you tried setting powders over your oily t zone area? They may help prevent those issues?

Honored Contributor

I use benefit's The Pore Professional occasionally.  As I'm getting older, my skin's is drier and oil breakthrough is no longer an issue.  I used to use oil blotting squares.

Trusted Contributor

I have never found primer to do anything except to clog my pores and cause breakouts.  I also have oily skin and I use an oil free foundation and then blot with some powder foundation (I use Chanel) if I get a shiny spot here or there.  There is no reason anyones makeup should melt into their skin - even if it oily.  You need to find a better foundation that works for you.

Honored Contributor

There's no "one size fits all" with makeup.

I do find my foundation lasts longer and looks better longer if I use a silicone-based primer, like Revlon PhotoReady, Mally Perfect Prep, L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base, or BareMinerals Prime Time. Laura Geller's Spackle didn't work for me at all.

Different primers do different things well and some primers work better with some foundations or skin types than others. Some illuminating primers I don't even use as a primer and instead mix into my foundation for a glow.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps you may not need a primer at all. Mattifying-setting/finishing powders work well for oily skin and many do not settle...will absorb excess oil to keep your look fresh.Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

I use Laura Geller's primer and I love it.  And yes, my makeup stays so much better when I use primer.

Respected Contributor

To me it's just another sales gimmick.  As long as I properly moisturize my older skin, I can use my Mally, Laura Geller, or IT powder foundations, and they look fine and stay on all day.  I do also use Mally's face defender on top of it all, and that's what makes all the difference for me.  Even after jogging in 90 degrees, my face doesn't change!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I just have no desire to add another layer. So for me, it's not necessary.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Primer is not necessary.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I just have no desire to add another layer. So for me, it's not necessary.

ITA, @suzyQ3, no added layer for me either.  And every primer I have ever used (Geller, BE, drug store brands) cause my eyes to water so badly all day.  Even when I use the facial primer, not only just when I use eye primer.

If anyone knows of one that I can try, I really would like an eye primer that will not cause watering.  

Thanks

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it